Monday, October 4, 2010

Baked on Monday - Sage-Pepper Butter Crisps


Happy Monday! Thanksgiving (in Canada) is just one week away, so I thought these sagey crisps would be perfect to take to dinner. I found this recipe in Edible Vancouver - a free magazine full of local goodness. I copied the recipe down, and here it is!

Sage-Pepper Butter Crisps - makes about 15-18, depending on how much dough you eat while making them ;)

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup ground blanched almonds
1 tablespoon butter (to cook sage)
1/4 cup fresh sage leaves
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
sea salt for sprinkling


Preheat oven to 325f. In a shallow baking tin, toast almonds for 10 minutes, just to bring out the flavour. Once toasted, grind the almonds in a food processor.


In a small bowl, beat 1/2 cup butter until creamy. In another bowl, mix together flour, salt and ground almonds. Gradually add this mixture to the butter, mixing on a low setting until it starts to form a ball.


Melt the additional tablespoon of butter in a skillet until it starts to bubble. Add the sage a cook for a few minutes, or until leaves start to turn brown and crispy. Drain on a paper towel. When cool, chop into small pieces.

Add pepper and sage to dough and mix together with your hands. Roll into 1 inch balls and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Dip the bottom of a glass in a bit of flour and flatten dough balls into discs, about 2 inches across. Sprinkle with a little sea salt.


Bake for about 12-15 minutes, or until sides start to turn gold in colour. Place crisps on a wire rack to cool. Best served warm. Enjoy.


Back on Wednesday!

28 comments:

shellie said...

oh goodness i am going to have to make these...savory little cookies are my favorites...have you ever tried martha stewarts cheddar cayenne short breads....yum!
your styling is always so perfect but then you are a professional!

Pinecone Camp said...

Cheddar cayenne short breads? I'm going to search for the recipe now! Thanks, Shellie!

Katie Runnels said...

must try these as soon as i have a kitchen again!
i love sage! i agree beautiful styling as always!

Marisa Midori said...

Holy man I can't believe it's Thanksgiving next week already! It's always so weird having Thanksgiving in November when I'm in Milwaukee. I just got some fresh sage from my friend's mom's garden and I think these would be the perfect use for it!

shellie said...

they are cheddar pecan cayenne shortbreads....they are in The Martha Stewart Cook Book

koralee said...

Yummadoodles....these may just need to be included on my Monday Thanksgiving table! xoxoxo

Vintage Home said...

...Oh and no pine nuts ..as Bob is allergic!...so great for our dinner!

Pooch Morning Glory said...

wow cool.... sounds good
~laura

Bekah Mae said...

OH man, those look so yummy! I just discovered your blog (um, just now) and wanted to say hello. It's so darling!

m.e (Cathie) said...

they look wonderful!! love your glass too, mmmm, I think some moroccan mint tea is calling my name.

Julie@beingRUBY said...

HI Janis..
they sound.. and look wonderful... and I like the idea of a savory treat!!!
hope you're having a lovely week.. thanks for the kind comments... xxx Julie

size too small said...

these sound delicious- definitely going to try them out.

Kitty M said...

Wow these sound gorgeous - I'll save this recipe ready for Christmas nibbles. Have a great week x

lisaroyhandbags said...

mmm these sound good and what a nice idea to bring to a dinner. Hope you're having a lovely week :)

Denise said...

sound delish, and such pretty pictures!

kate / tinywarbler said...

oooh yeah! i can't wait to eat a bunch of these on thanksgiving, they look so good.
and i love your little bundle of sage!

christine, just bella said...

I love this! What a unique baking idea. Just another reason to add to my list of why I need a food processor!

drollgirl said...

what a funky combo of ingredients! i'd love to try them!

Cornflake said...

Oh wow, these look delish! Perfect with a glass of red wine don't you think? xx

Courtney said...

Mmm, these sound so savory! I can't believe the holidays are starting already. So not prepared for that! I'm going to have to go back through your recipes to make sure I'm ready by the time cookie season rolls around. Have a happy week, Janis!

shopgirl said...

I miss celebrating Thanksgiving in Canada with my friends on the Sunshine Coast. It's just not the same here.

Hope you're having a great week!

Martina said...

Everything you bake is so special! These sound like just the thing to serve with white wine and cheese - i live in a wine-region here ;)
Thanks for your nice comment on my felted birds! They all flew out as presents last winter. But try making them - it's the right kind of fun for dark and rainy evenings!

Fräulein Klein said...

I must try this recipe! The ingredients look very tasty!
Have a great day,
YVonne

jan said...

Wow, how delicious do these sound? love your sage pic - so fresh!

Ashley said...

Such an interesting combination! I'll have to try them soon--I love sage. We put salt and pepper in a shortbread crust for a sweet pie recently and it was heavenly.

Radish said...

sounds like a great recipe. Will try. Happy Thanksgiving.

Festiveworks said...

Those look so interesting! I'm going to have to try these!

bianca said...

I am definitely going to try these this weekend. I'm on the lookout for sugar free snacks so these will be perfect. Thank you : )