Monday, March 7, 2011

Baked























Happy Monday! Hope your week's off to a good start.

I was flipping through an old Donna Hay magazine, and came across these Crushed Fig Friands. I'd forgotten all about them, fool that I am. These are delicious, perfect for a coffee break with friends...which I better arrange, as I've already eaten two by myself.

Crushed Fig Friands - makes 8

8oz/240g dried figs (I used mission figs)
3/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup water
2 cups berry sugar (a.k.a. caster sugar)
4oz/125g unsalted butter, chopped
1 cup almond meal (finely ground almonds)
1 2/3 cup icing sugar, sifted
3/4 all purpose flour, sifted
1/2 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
5 egg whites























Make a small cut in the base of the figs, and tear them open slightly. Place in a saucepan over low heat with the orange juice, water and sugar. Stir to dissolve the sugar then increase the heat and boil for 15 minutes or until syrupy. Remove the figs from syrup and place on a rack to cool. Reserve the syrup.
 

































































Preheat oven to 355f/180c. Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Set aside.
Place the almond meal, icing sugar, flour and baking powder in a bowl. Add egg whites and melted butter and whisk until smooth. Spoon into 8 well greased 1/2 cup capacity tins. Top figs and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and springy to the touch, but moist in the centre. Serve with the warm orange syrup.

14 comments:

monkeemoomoo said...

These look fantastic. I might just have to organise a coffee break with friends too. Yummo!

c and d said...

these look delicious! i love the timeless feel of your photos..although they always make me crave sweet. ; )

Angie said...

Hi! I just found your blog today and so glad I did especially for this recipe. I just bought a whole pack of dried figs and I think I know what I trying this weekend. Will let you know how it turns out.

Angie @ Cocina Diary

Design Elements said...

looks delicious!

Robert said...

These ARE delicious!!!!

Amanda said...

They do indeed look incredibly easy to eat!

Natasha said...

Janis these looks amazing! Your photography (and cooking!) always inspires me :)
Natasha xo

My Fashion Dolly said...

So yummy!!! They look absolutely delicious! Xoxo ♥

Rocio R.

http://myfashiondolly.blogspot.com

kate / tinywarbler said...

I WANT.

Jan | Poppytalk said...

these look seriously good.

lisaroyhandbags said...

Yum yum yum! Xo

Erika @ ~TiptoeButterfly~ said...

thanks SO much for introducing this recipe to me - i just found ur blog and i LOVE to cook!

I’m hosting a give-away and would LOVE for you and ALL BLOGGERS to
Join Custom Sign Give-Away last day to join is tomorrow!

*kiss kiss*
Erika
~Tiptoe Butterfly~

christine, just bella said...

these look lovely and delicious. i just love those little bread pans.

kitten roar said...

these look so good! they look as pretty as as they do tasty. i just got into eating figs, so i may have to try this!