Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Baked


I hope your week is off to a good start!

I baked some bread over the weekend, and it's kind of on the healthy side. Go figure. Have to say, I still marvel at the bread making process. It kind of reminds me of my film processing days. The picture would magically appear in my chemical tray, just like the dough magically doubles in size Usually. Hopefully. ;) It's all like one big science experiment to me.

Whole Wheat Bread with Maple and Walnuts - makes one loaf

1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water (about 105f)
1 egg
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 pure maple syrup (use the strongest grade you can find)
1.5 teaspoons maple extract
2 cups all purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup old fashioned oats
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons quick rising yeast


Place all ingredients, in order listed, into a large bowl. I mixed everything by hand, as I prefer to do it this way, but you can use a heavy duty mixer with a dough hook to do it as well. If dough is a little sticky add a handful of flour at a time. Knead for 8 minutes, or blend in mixer for 8 minutes. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and a towel. Let rise in a warm area until doubled in size, about 90 minutes.


Butter a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Butter a sheet of plastic wrap. Place dough on lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 2 minutes. Shape dough into an 8x3 inch log. Place in prepared pan and cover loosely with buttered plastic wrap (buttered side down). Allow dough to rise in a warm, draft free, area until centre is about 1 1/2 inches higher than pan, about 45 minutes.


Preheat oven to 350f. Carefully pull plastic wrap off dough. Place bread in oven and bake until deep golden in colour, and an instant read thermometer inserted in centre, reads 180f - about 30 minutes.
Cool in pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.



This bread is perfect with goat cheese or with cheddar, then placed in a toaster oven to melt. Maple, walnuts and cheddar. Mmm.

Have a good day! Back on Thursday.

19 comments:

tina.b said...

You have a gorgeous blog. Love all the beautiful photos and Canadian content.

theolivetree said...

I just tried making bread for the first time last week...what a disaster! I love this recipe, thanks for sharing. I miss the good 'ol days of developing film!

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

I will write your recipe down, it sounds and looks very good!

Thank you for entering my giveaway, I will threw your notes in the big hat, fingers crossed.

Have a lovely Tuesday, mine is almost ending xxx

lisaroyhandbags said...

Oh my! This looks so good and the idea of it with melted cheddar has me craving some right now! :)

the southern hostess said...

This looks amazing! Nothing better than fresh baked bread.

Pooch Purple Reign said...

that looks amazing ! i baked chocolate guinness cupcakes today, which i wanted to do for st patricks...a bit late. i give most of it to my neighbours anyway and they love it :)
~laura xx

Natasha said...

Freshly baked bread is my love! I like the maple syrup and walnuts, and topped with goat cheese, yum!
Gorgeous recipe and photos as always :)

Marisa Midori said...

I must say, I love baking and cooking and am not to shabby at either, but bread-making is something that has completely evaded my capabilities as of late. I keep making what my roommate likes to call "failbreads". Although I'm hoping my yeast was just old. I bought some new yeast last week and am determined to bake a decent loaf of bread! Will definitely be trying this recipe.

Mary said...

That's a great idea...I never thought of using flavored bread with a mild cheese..yum! Food for thought (pun intended.):) ~Mary

gbf said...

this would be lovely for my girls night this friday...i have some great aged goats to serve & this bread would make it all the more delicious. dayle

mise said...

I love bread and maple and walnut, and especially the smell of yeast rising, so I feel as though this post were sent directly to me today by Higher Powers. I wish those same Higher Powers would send me the time to bake it.

dm designs said...

yummy! I'll definitely have to give this a try :)

shellie said...

why dont you live next door?

Lady Grey said...

That looks beautiful! And I say beautiful because your photography makes everything look amazing.... it just keeps getting better and better!

♥ Nia said...

Thank you for your kind reply :) and also for sharing that tutorial! :D
A lovely day to you!!

Pinecone Camp said...

Thanks everyone for you comments!
Mise, with two little girls I'm sure you don't have time!
Marisa, give it a try again! I've had plenty of flops, that's for sure. I still haven't made a decent scone. Have you?

Cez said...

i spoke about you on my blog!!!!!! xoxo

Marisa Midori said...

Scones don't really give me grief. Or pie crusts. I sort of have the flaky pastries down haha Hopefully the bread curse will be broken soon!

Claudia Cifuentes said...

what a great idea. looks delicious!