Monday, April 4, 2011

Baked

How was your weekend? Hope you had a good one!

It's a dark and dreary day here in Vancouver, so it's a perfect day to try making Hot Cross Buns. I've eaten many over the years, but I've never actually attempted making them. I always have an Easter brunch for my family, so I wanted to give these a try now, in case they were a bust. I'm happy to say, they were not a bust, but I do have to work on the shape. ;) Definitely worth trying out.


Hot Cross Buns - makes about 8-10

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup warm water
8g package of active dry yeast
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tablespoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup warmed milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup dried currants or raisins (I used currants)
1/4 cup chopped mixed candied peel chopped into small pieces (I haven't included the recipe for candied peel, but let me know if you'd like it. I had made some a little while back, so I used it in this recipe)

Glaze:
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons water

Icing:
1/2 cup icing sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice


Dissolve 1 tablespoon of the sugar in warm water, in a small bowl then sprinkle yeast over top. Let stand for about 10 minutes or until it starts to foam.
In a large bowl, blend together remaining sugar, flour, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and salt. Make a well in the centre of dry mixture. Whisk together milk, egg, egg yolk and butter and pour into well. Add yeast mixture and stir all together with a wooden spoon until a soft dough forms.


Knead dough on a lightly floured surface for about 8 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in greased bowl, and turn to lightly coat dough. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm spot until doubled in size, about 75 minutes.



Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead in peel and currants. Shape dough into a 12 inch log, and cut into 8-10 pieces with a serrated knife. Shape each piece into a ball, stretching a pinching dough underneath to form a smooth top. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet, about an inch apart. Cover with a tea towel and let rise for about 40 minutes or doubled in size. Bake at 400f/200c, in centre of oven, until golden brown, about 15 minutes.

Glaze: in a small saucepan, stir sugar with water over medium heat, until dissolved. Brush over buns. Allow to cool on pan.

Icing: Stir icing sugar and lemon juice together in a small bowl. Using a piping bag, with a round tip, pipe a cross over the top of each bun. If you're not into the cross, you could just spread a little icing over each bun instead.


Do you have anything special that you make for Easter? I'd love to know!

That's it for now. Back soon!
janis

15 comments:

shellie said...

those look mighty good lady!

Dawn said...

THANK YOU! I make these every April and have been wanting to find a new recipe! I think they look amazing. Just wish I could taste them:)

m.e (Cathie) said...

ahhh.. was going to make some today but settled for jam scrolls instead!
they look wonderful, thanks for sharing your magical pics ♥

theolivetree said...

Yummmmmmm!

mise said...

I love the shape. Hot cross buns are one of my favourite foods ever - I make them at all times of year but often wonder what I can call them when it's not near Easter so that people won't think I'm not with it.

Jaclyn said...

these always make me think of Easter in Australia!

Anna said...

Sounds yummy and very cozy for early spring, or the dark and dreary weather you are having.

lisaroyhandbags said...

These look great - I've never tried making them but I do buy them occasionally. Nothing special for Easter, although something lemon usually shows up! :)

Kim said...

They look delicious!

Christine said...

Looks wonderful! I'll have to try them.

Lady Grey said...

those look sooooo pretty in that little fruit basket!
What a perfect treat for a dreary day!
xo

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Yummylicious!!

Have a hApPY Tuesday xxxx

Missing Goat said...

I just want the mixed candied peel and basket the buns are in please! So very pretty - again.

wowaccountforsale said...

A perfect dish for Easter like you've said.The candied peel and the currants was a first, never thought of mixing them. I'm so thrilled to try out this one.

Lynn {hearted girl} said...

it sure has been puffy coat weather here hey? but today the sun is shinin' and it feels awesome. mmm, hot cross buns meet Lynn's mouth one day soon please!!!!!

we usually head over to moms place for a brunchy kinda thing on Easter. she always does pan fried tomatoes with garlic, onion, sugar, s&p and hungarian paprika (b/c that's the sweetest kind!) sprinkles. omg, it's a beloved thing! ♥