Thursday, April 7, 2011


I popped by the Waldorf Hotel here in Vancouver, to get a few shots for something else, but thought I'd share some with you. Let's just say, I now feel like a Mai Tai. Right now.

This hotel has been restored to it's original Tiki goodness. When you step into the Tiki Bar, you feel as though you've just stepped into a time tunnel straight back to the 50's. It's pretty much unchanged since then. Very "Blue Hawaii". I know it's kitsch, but it works and I'm glad it's still around.

I posted an iPhone pic of these chairs a couple of weeks ago. Here are some more images of Nuba. It's a great restaurant, located in the Waldorf as well. There are a number of elements I could see adding to our home. Love the chairs, the green chalkboard (I prefer green over black), the wood partitions, and cabinets.

These images are of the Leeteg room. It's named after Edgar Leeteg, the man that brought us modern velvet paintings. Velvet paintings make me smile. You can read more about him here. Again, everything is pretty much original, they've just added new chair cushions.

What do you think of the Waldorf Hotel? Can you embrace Tiki, or does it remind you of rumpus rooms of the past? I can say, it's a fun place to visit, good drinks and great food too. Check it out if you can.

Back soon!


Vintage Home said...

Well I want to go there & sit in those chairs & drink a mai tai & enjoy the space!
Wow! thanks for showing us this!

Callie Grayson said...

I will have any drink with an umbrella in it at the moment! Looks like a fun place, love the tiki bar!

shellie said...

i think its pretty awesome.....i would love to visit and drink many mai kind of reminds me of my grandfathers garden and patio. He moved out to california in the 1940s and was a bartender in hollywood and a bartender until he exciting is that? anyway he had a tiki garden with awesome tropical plants and lights....

Angela Steyn said...

Gorgeous, it makes me want to pop on a grass skirt and some cats eye sunglasses!

Angela x

Mary Hudson said...

{I love green chalkboards too!}

Lisa said...

Reminds me of the days of Trader Vic's at Coal Harbour!

'odd and old' Linda Dacey said...

i can embrace
any style
if it means
a fun moment
with a
mate or 2
love the
china girl


mise said...

Look at those beautiful pastel chairs - it all makes me want to live in a dignified grown-up doll's house.

Rachel from Birch + Bird said...

If I ever have a pool house, I'd definitely go all tiki. The Waldorf Hotel is on my list of places to visit the next time I'm in the city with my hubby. Are the hotel rooms just as fun?

kate / tinywarbler said...

so fun!!! i haven't been there yet (we just had nuba yesterday though..) and now i want to go and have a tropical drink! what great colors, you really captured it well!

Novi On The Go said...

I didn't think much of the Waldorf Hotel but now you've got my attention, cool interiors, looks like a perfect tropical getaway on a rainy day. The menu from the Nuba cafe looked interesting, reasonable prices too, perhaps we'll check it out. Thanks for this!

Briar Stanley {Sunday Collector} said...

Oh wow! That looks like my kind of place! I want to visit!!