Sunday, April 10, 2011

Sunday Observations

Did you all have a nice weekend? Finding it hard to believe that's it's over? I am.

Today, I checked out Isabelle Dunlop's "pop-up" shop here in Vancouver. It's located on the corner of Kingsway and East 11th. She's a talented fashion designer and sings in a band called Sex With Strangers. Does her talent ever end, I wonder?


My husband did this painting of Isabelle, as a 12 year old, with her horse Hamish.

If you love a little modern vintage style, you have to have this book. I "observed" it here, and bought it immediately. Finally had a chance to look at it today. Emily Chalmers is such a great stylist. Love her shop Caravan, in London, as well.



Vintage baking and cooking gear is the best. These were given to me by Carol, owner of a beautiful condo that I shot for an upcoming issue of Anthology. Thanks Carol!


That's what I observed today. What did you get up to? 

Back soon!
janis

An update for you: I've posted a fun and easy Easter project, over at Poppytalk today. Seems some of you do want the recipe for those cookies so here it is!


Sugar cookies - makes about 24 (depending on size of cookie cutter, of course)
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder

Glaze:
2 cups icing sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice

Beat together the butter and sugar until fluffy, then beat in egg and vanilla. Whisk flour with baking powder then add to butter mixture and stir. Separate dough into two pieces, flatten each and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for an hour.
Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to about 1/8 inch thickness. Cut out your shapes. In this case, I used a rather tall rabbit shape.
Place shapes on parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 350f/180c for about 10 minutes, or until lightly golden on sides. Allow to cool on wire rack.
For glaze: Mix together the icing sugar and lemon juice. Add a little food colouring (I like the gel colours) to get the desired shade. The icing should be a little runny, so it's more of a glaze than icing.

That's it! Check out the entire project at Poppytalk. Thanks!

14 comments:

Jan | Poppytalk said...

LOVE that painting! Look forward to seeing your Anthology shoot. Saw your pics of Henderson Dry Goods today in H&H! Great shoot!

sarah, flourish design + style said...

Lovely! The weekend did go a tad too fast, but we were able to get out of town for a birthday dinner with friends :) x

'odd and old' Linda Dacey said...

inspirational
weekend
indeed
and husband
with talent (also)
can't be bad
me:
went to brocantes
bought well
and repaired/painted
in hot sunshine
in the garden
glass of rose
to hand
good weekend
had
x
...

***

simpledaisy said...

Love the photographs and the painting!! The weekend sure did go by too fast!

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

i so love the look of your weekends! and that painting by your man is awesome.

jxx

Flo said...

I saw your easter on Poppytalk... And it's just so great !

silverpebble said...

Any shop with vintage keys laid out on a rococo tray would be a destination for me - I'd give my eye teeth to visit that little shop!

Me? My little snakesead fritillary started flowering and I remembered my little thrifted fritillary teacup. Bliss.

Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy said...

That painting your husband did is amazing! If only I had an artistic husband....

And I just saw your little Easter place cards on Poppytalk - I love them!

Calmly Chaotic said...

That shop looks amazing. I will definitely be sending the name to my sister who lives in van.

Jessi said...

such a cute shop!

Jan | Poppytalk said...

Oh thanks for the recipe Janis! That pink icing is really making me want to make this!

Natasha said...

Weekends are always too short! Thanks for the book recommendation, this looks right up my alley. The cookies also look yum!

Vintage Home said...

I am almost passed out...with excitement..oh if I could i would have a painting of my daughter & her horse...BY YOUR TALENTED HUSBAND...stunning..!
If I remember i will bring you a wee treat on friday...what colour fireking mug would you like!..hahah!..carnival glass green white or the white with yellow you borrowed for the Oprah shoot...or white with brown?..let me know and I will leave it for you if your not there when I am!
I am going to dream about your husband.......painting!

Vintage Home said...

oh p.s....love your banner!now off I go to visit all your recommendations!