Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Baked


How's your week so far? I'm doing fun things like my tax and H.S.T. returns. Heaps of fun! Of course, one shouldn't leave one's tax return for the last minute. I've also joined Poppytalk Handmade, and I'm really excited about that. I'm working on a new series of images and note cards to add to my "table" soon.

I made lamingtons over the weekend. They're an Australian tradition and delicious. I drizzle chocolate over each piece of cake, rather than dipping it in chocolate, as I'm not too keen on a whole coating. Everyone seems to have a different spin on these!

Lamingtons - makes one cake cut into 15 pieces.

125g softened unsalted butter
3/4 cup berry/caster sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder, sifted
1/2 cup milk
1 cup shredded coconut (to sprinkle over chocolate coated cake)


Chocolate Icing:
10g unsalted butter
250g icing sugar
100g dark chocolate broken in pieces
60ml milk

Preheat oven to 320f/160c. Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and beat with electric mixer until light and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, and beat well. Add the flour and baking powder and mix until well combined. Fold in the milk. Pour batter into lightly greased  7"x11"x2" pan, lined (on bottom) with parchment paper. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Allow to cool completely, then cut into 15-18 pieces.




To make the icing, put the icing sugar, chocolate, butter and milk in a heat proof bowl and place over a simmering pot of water. Stir constantly until melted and combined. Drizzle chocolate over each piece of cake (keep chocolate over pan of hot water, but turn off heat, so it doesn't harden), then sprinkle coconut over top. Stand iced cake on a wire rack until completely set.


Have a great day! Back soon.
janis

10 comments:

Marisa Midori said...

I've always wanted to make lamingtons! I'll have to stash this recipe away for once school is over and I can bake again!

Elle said...

Your photos are so great. Would you recommend anywhere in Vancouver for a novice to learn a bit about taking pics for personal enjoyment?

Renee (eatliveshop.com) said...

Oh my! These look delish! I have to set aside a day to try out all your amazing recipes. And then a day to work off all the calories!

I love your photos on Poppytalk Handmade! I just may have to order a couple :)

shellie said...

chocolate and coconut and cake....definitely a dream come true....

Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy said...

Mmmmm, these like DELICIOUS! I have never heard of Lamingtons, but I want one! And congrats on joining Poppytalk...your stuff is amazing!

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

lamingtons are the best - we devoured a whole tray on ANZAC day! but these ones look like hte super cool variety ;)

mise said...

They look delicious. I'm all for these tray bakes that are so easy to make to feed the hungry crowds.

designchic said...

This looks delish...must try!!

kcn said...

ummmm that looks like I want it right now...do you have any left?
xo k

lauren carney said...

your blog makes my little heart flutter.
the pictures are super dreamy!
happy blogging lovely one x x x