Monday, June 20, 2011

Baked


Hello Monday! Hope you all had a great weekend. Mine's kind of a blur, as it involved a lot of post production.

I baked something a little on the healthier side this weekend. It's a chewy snack bar, perfect for hiking, camping or a sporty day. I like them way more than any store bought bar.

Snack Bar - makes one 9"x9" square

3 cups puffed cereal (I used puffed Kamut)
1/4 cup pitted dates, chopped
1/2 cup dried tart cherries, chopped
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1/4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup mashed ripe banana (1 small)


Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Spray a 9"x9" square baking tin/pan with a little non-stick vegetable oil spray. In a large bowl, mix together cereal, dates, cherries, pecans, pumpkin seeds, and ground flaxseeds. In a small saucepan, whisk together the peanut butter, maple syrup and banana over medium heat. Keep whisking until it starts to bubble (watch that it doesn't burn, and do keep whisking). Pour this mixture over cereal mixture and stir with a greased wooden spoon, to combine ingredients. Transfer mixture to greased baking tin and press down hard to compact. It's easier to do this using parchment paper, by the way, otherwise you'll end up eating half of it off your hands. ;)


Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the edges turn a golden brown. After it's cooled a little press down again, to avoid crumbling when cutting. Cool completely and cut into squares, or whatever shape you like. Enjoy!


I feel so healthy now ;) Let me know if you try these out, as I'm curious if you'll prefer them over store bought!

Have a great day! Back soon.
Janis

28 comments:

Callie Grayson said...

mmm I really need to make these!! All of my favorites in one bar!!
xx
callie

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

hi janis...oh oh...i am making these...they look so wonderful....

happy to stop by for a visit with you today, my friend

it's always a pleasure to come here....

sending SUMMER love from california

kary and teddy
xo

Jan | Poppytalk said...

i think i would devour these! lovely packaging too!!!!

Jan | Poppytalk said...

p.s.- LOVING your large photos!

Pen and Paperie said...

yum yum yum

PinkPanthress said...

I'll always prefer homemade over bought food!
Also your recipe has dates, which is a huge plus in my book. ;)

Mary Hudson said...

Delicious looking! It's been a while since I've made granola bars, but I think I'll try these instead. (Also love the individual packaging)

Briar {Sunday Collector} said...

Yum! They look so great - and healthy too! Thanks for your card too, it arrived last week...as expected, it's so so lovely. Briar x

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

I agree with Blair - they look great! Love how you've wrapped them, too. Great job!

shopgirl said...

Goodness gracious this looks delicious Janis! I'm saving it to my recipes folder!

Cheers! xo

designfuersheim said...

Delicious!!!

http://designfuersheim.blogspot.com/

Nette @ This Dusty House said...

Oh, my goodness, these look delicious! And your styling of them is so simple and beautiful. I always forget that part when I take pictures of food.

Definitely trying these. Hopefully sooner, rather than later.

mise said...

Absolutely beautiful presentation, as always. The little paper pouches are perfect.

hello said...

love this J. Goin go try out this weekend at the cottage!

lesley [smidgebox] said...

oh, i must try these. i need a good healthier alternative to store-bought bars for the kids. perfect for summer picnics and all-day outings. i'll let you know when i make them!

Lady Grey said...

these look amazing! I love how you used puffed cereal in them. I might try these for our next road trip : )
xo

lisaroyhandbags said...

These are definitely on my must-bake list! I love your wrapping too :)

kate / tinywarbler said...

yum! those look so good. dates & cherries? yes please.

Melissa said...

Oh these sound so yummy! thinking I will have to make these soon with the kiddos! Thanks for sharing!

Natasha said...

These look so good! I'm all about healthy snacks these days so these are right up my alley. And the way that you've packaged them is adorable!

Megan said...

yum! these look delish! I have been looking for a good recipe for granola bars..and this just might be the one I needed! :)

Megan
letterstorome.blogspot.com

Beautiful photos too, by the way!

justine | lovemaki said...

wow! this looks so good! i'll have to do this soon.

x
j

le@thirdontheright said...

gluten free and refined sugar free - nice work :) le xox

jessica said...

yummmmmm!! this look delish! another great recipe for me to bookmark and try!

Mette said...

Ohhhh it looks great... it does a lot with SO nice photos to the article :)

Cez said...

hummm...miam miam!!! love the post you did on poppytalk!!! congrats!!!
xxx

Ellen said...

This looks wonderful.

emilie said...

These look awesome! I'm a fan of any granola bar with peanut butter and banana. Thanks for the new recipe!

Emilie
www.liveeatsmile.blogspot.com