Monday, June 27, 2011

Baked


Did you have a good weekend? Hope so! If you are in the Vancouver area, did you thoroughly enjoy our little blip of summer? I'm sure there is more to come ;)

I baked some healthy muffins over the weekend. I just call them "Morning Muffins", as I don't want to call them Raspberry, Brown Rice, Almond, and Orange muffins. When I first tried these out, I thought they might have a have real rice flavour, which I didn't want, but they don't. The orange flavour comes through the most - they're really delicious, especially warm.


Morning Muffins - makes one dozen

1 cup cake and pastry flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup toasted, finely ground almonds
1 cup short grain brown rice
1 1/2 tablespoons orange zest
1 cup plain yogurt, at room temperature
1 egg, at room temperature
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup raspberries, fresh or frozen

Preheat oven to 375f.
Whisk together the ground almonds, flours, baking powder, baking soda, rice, salt and orange zest. In another bowl, whisk together the yogurt, egg, butter, sugar and vanilla. Pour over the dry ingredients, and stir just to combine. Do not over mix. Fold in raspberries.




Line a 12 hole cupcake tin with paper cups, and fill to 3/4 full with batter. Bake in centre of oven for 15-18 minutes, or until golden on top and a skewer, inserted in centre, comes out clean.
Transfer muffins to a wire rack and serve warm.

18 comments:

Carola said...

Hi :)
You should call the brigthfull muffins! I love your how they pop up from the pictures. Ive discovered your work thanks to poppytalk and your last post for them.
I love when that happend, Im so glad I found you.

kis from winter garden

Carola

mel said...

mmmm they look delish, as always :)
a question about your career - did you ever assist, or did you jump right into commercial shooting?
would love to hear how you made contacts, or how you would like to be contacted by potential assistants.
thanks!
~mel

Karena said...

Oh muffins look so delish!! Love the flavors you combined!!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

I have a New, very fashionable Giveaway on my site! Come and enter!

Natasha said...

These little morning muffins look awesome! I love it that they're so healthy too, and all those flavors mixed together must be divine.

Marianne {Style For Living} said...

Yum! The muffins looks really good. I'm going to have to make them one morning.

I live in Seattle, so I can also relate to your little blip of summer over the weekend. Why can't we have more than a day or two of sunshine in a row? So sad.

the southern hostess said...

These look delightful! I'd love to wake up to them.

kate / tinywarbler said...

what great colors. and yum!! those would make any morning happy.

lisaroyhandbags said...

I love when recipes are healthy AND delicious! I bet these would be good using lemon too instead of orange. I'm trying to send sunshine your way - is it working? :)

christine, just bella said...

oooo, the colours in these muffins are SO pretty!

CHECKS AND SPOTS said...

These look incredible! They wouldn't just be morning muffins in our household, but all-day-long muffins!

PinkPanthress said...

They look perfect for a good weeks start. Maybe with some vanilla milk to drink... *yum*

shellie said...

yum except its too hot to bake here.

Christiane said...

oh, yum!
love the summer feeling on your blog!

PS I have a 4th of July giveaway on mine:
http://christianeengel.blogspot.com/2011/06/4th-of-july-giveaway.html

cara said...

oh my, these look so yummy!

Inspire Me Heather said...

Hi! No, I'm not in Vancouver but I grew up there and now we're over on the Island! Nice to meet you here and I must say, you have a lovely blog! Your muffins look yummy too...

Pinecone Camp said...

Shellie, you're lucky it's "too hot to bake". Feels like fall here!
Pink Panthress, I think you're on to something!
ah, Checks and Spots. You are so right. I'm eating one now at 4pm!

jessica said...

yum yum yum!!! another recipe for me to try!!

Jan | Poppytalk said...

These sound so delicious!