Monday, September 19, 2011

Baked


How're you all doing? Hope your Monday has been a good one!

I baked some rice pudding for a little brunch this weekend, perfect for the sudden change in weather. I've never been a huge rice pudding fan, so for this recipe I used coconut milk instead of cream (I don't like a real creamy taste), and brown rice, because I seem to still be on this health kick, though I have to say, I think I like brown rice better ;) It turned out well, I'm happy to say.

Baked Rice Pudding with Cherries and Pears - serves about 6

2 cups cooked brown or white rice
1 400mg can coconut milk (I used a light version)
1 vanilla bean, split down centre, and seeds scraped out
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup dried tart cherries
1 cup chopped pears (any kind will do. I used bosc)
Juice and zest of one lemon
1/2 cup sliced roasted pecans (to top)

Lightly spray a 8 inch square glass baking dish with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 375f.
Chop up pears in small cubes and toss, in a small bowl, with the juice and zest of one lemon. Set aside.



In a large bowl mix together, rice, coconut milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla bean seeds, cinnamon, cherries and pears. Spread mixture evenly in the prepared baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.



Remove foil, stir and continue baking for about another 20 minutes, uncovered, until the rice is really tender. Allow to cool a little before eating. Top with some chopped pecans. Voila. So good.


Do you like rice pudding? I think it's either a love or hate thing. Let me know if you give it a try!

One more little reminder - if you missed Friday's post, click here to enter the give away. I'll make the draw sometime on Wednesday the 21st. Bonne chance!

Back soon!
Janis

6 comments:

Callie Grayson said...

i have never tried rice pudding... I will need to try one day, it looks really good.
xx
callie

meesh@idreamofchairs said...

Mmmm. I love rice pudding and this version sounds really intriguing with the brown rice (I love its nuttiness) and the coconut milk. Bookmarked!

Vintage Home said...

wow...seems like a great big yummy hug...That I should go make for our youngest as she gets in in a hour from a nite class @University!

the southern hostess said...

Yum! I love rice pudding and this version looks delicious.

lisaroyhandbags said...

I've never really been a fan, although I've never had any that has sounded this delicious. I've only had it with raisins but I'm liking the cherries and pears idea :)

Huckleberry Creative said...

Yum! This looks delish! Must try it out soon :)