Friday, April 27, 2012

NYC for Friday


I'm back. Actually, I got back the other day at 2am but have been in a shoot frenzy. How has your week been?

I've got a little more of my NYC trip to share with you. It's a kind of long...hope you don't mind! Such a fantastic city.

We stayed at the Marcel at the Gramercy. The view from the lounge deck, on the 10th floor, was beautiful.  

A little peek at the High Line. You can't miss this if you visit NYC!  It starts in the Meat Packing district (by the Standard hotel) and ends at West 34th. There were birds nesting in those fantastic bird houses, top left. I know of a certain viaduct, here in Vancouver, that should be transformed into a beautiful park space too. One can dream. 


We popped over to Brooklyn for a few hours too. Checked out  Mast Brothers Chocolate, to stock up on some of our favourite chocolate and to see where all the magic happened.  Incredible flavour. This place is so worth seeing.

This city, truly, never sleeps. I love that you can buy papaya and limes late at night, right on the street. 

Fishs Eddy is a shop filled with vintage dish ware and heaps of new and used bits. We picked up some vintage Pan Am airlines knives. 99 cents each. Had to. ;)

Another shop we came across, is Kiosk. Located in Soho, it sells "things from places", and displays these "things" gallery style. Love this place so much. You can happily shop online too!

Happy bikes chained up everywhere. 

Beauty and Essex had been recommended to us by a few people. The food was incredible. You enter through a "pawn shop" and find yourself in a rather glamorous space. Since we're not overly glamorous, we enjoyed looking at all the glamorous guests. ;) The lobster tacos and molten chocolate bread pudding were especially amazing. 

A very early morning walk through the flower district. It's mostly wholesale only, but it was fun to stroll through. Busy place!

Whew. That's it. Do you have favourite places that you go to each time you're in NYC? Please share! 

Have a great weekend everyone. Got any plans? Back soon!

Janis












22 comments:

Melissa said...

I too love NYC I need a visit soon - love your NYC pics

Kyrani @ Klik Photographic said...

Loved this post...we are off to the big apple next month and I will definitely be referring back to this for your great suggestions. Thank you Janis!

Freya Lily said...

I live in Connecticut and try to get into the city as often as possible, I mean when will I have this chance again?! And I love it. It's HUGE and I've barely explored ANYWHERE but I keep chipping away at it! I love these photos, they really capture the beauty behind the chaos!

lisaroyhandbags said...

Your pics are awesome! I love NYC, especially that there's something interesting around every corner. You seemed to have found a lot of them. Fishs Eddy is one of my faves and ABC Carpet. And of course the Anthropologie store. :)

Tan said...

This is making me want to live in NYC! It's such an amazing city. I didn't get to see nearly enough when I last went!

Jan Halvarson said...

Looked like an amazing trip! That Beauty & Essex looks pretty interesting - and that chalkboard wall? I'm going downstairs right now to draw on my chalkboard wall....

: )

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Love your NYC round up! I love to visit Canvas in Soho and of course the high line! Those PAN AM knives are FAB!

Birch + Bird said...

What fun! Looks like you guys packed in some great stops on your visit...living vicariously through your pics is the next best thing to actually being there :) Welcome home! ~Lily

Sheila @SZInteriors said...

Hhhh, I love NYC! Have only been once, and would go again in a heartbeat! And with photos like yours, I think NYC is calling :-)

Janny said...

Love your photos. You captured the vibrancy and charm of the city. I want to be there, now!

Amy Walters said...

Ooh...welcome home Janis!
NYC looks amazing. As always, love your shots.
Hope you have a restful and relaxing weekend.
I'm off to see the opera! I've never been before, but am kind of excite ;) Cheers!

PinkPanthress said...

How could I 'mind' all those lovely pics & links!?
Though the links have to wait for later I fear.
But I really loved all those images. Very much!

Have a fun weekend!

P.S.: Fishs Eddy & Kiosk seem like places I would love to do some shopping!

Victoria Bennett Beyer said...

Fun, Janis! I feel like I am right there through your pics. I have never been but we'll make it one of these days. I'd like to buy limes after dark on the street!

Marcus Design said...

Oh gosh, I am gushing over all your pics of NYC (my FAV place I've ever travelled to so far). That taxi photo should be enlarged and framed, its amazing. I'm glad to hear you had a great trip Janis! And the photos Jen has shown us so far are amazing.

I'm happy to say that after months of grueling studying, I am back in action reading & commenting on my fav blogs!! Woo hoo! Hugs to you,

Nancy xo

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

oh you lucky thing!! despite having lived in the states, i never made it to NYC. I know, crazy!! But as a 16 yr old exchange student you kind of do as you're told.

Looks so fab, hope you had an awesome time.

hope there's some respite from the shoot frenzy soon darl xx

kate / tinywarbler said...

great pics janis! love the night shots- limes on the street at night!
you guys sure were busy while you were there.

Meesh@idreamofchairs.com said...

Love the photos! I'm dreaming of hitting up New York one day...for now I'll live vicariously through your pics. :)

Carla Coulson said...

Thrilling ride through NYC thanks Janis looks like you had a fab time!
Carla x

holly@hvhinteriors said...

Can you believe that I lived in Montreal for the first 27 yrs of my life and never made it to NYC!? This post further increases my need to go. Lovely pictures :)

Xx.

gothic lolita dresses said...

I love NYC!It's a beautiful city and I'd like to go on a trip!

Brillante Interiors said...

Splendid! never too many of your pictures of New York!

Helene @ Homebound said...

Janis, i just love your nyc pics! makes me want to jump in a plane...