Monday, May 24, 2010

Baked on Monday - Cinnamon Teacake



It's Victoria Day here in Canada, so it's a holiday Monday. Hope you're all having, or had, a great weekend!

I had planned on sharing this recipe with you last Monday, but that didn't quite pan out due to the serious illness of my computer while in NY.

My niece came by the day I made this cake, so she joined me in an impromptu tea party. I'm always up for one of those. It's a pretty delicious, spongy cake. Hope you enjoy it too!



Cinnamon Teacake (This is a Donna Hay recipe)



2 eggs, separated
1 cup berry sugar (a.k.a. caster sugar/superfine)
1 cup milk
2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
2 tsp baking powder, sifted
60g unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract

For the cinnamon topping:
25g unsalted butter, melted
2 tblspn brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 320f (160c). Place egg whites in a bowl and beat until stiff peaks form. Slowly beat in the sugar until thick and glossy. Add the egg yolks, one at a time, beating well to combine. Gradually add the milk, then flour, baking powder, butter and vanilla and beat until smooth. Line two 6" cake tins* with parchment paper and grease sides of pans with a little butter. Divide batter evenly and pour into cake tins. Bake for about 35 minutes or until baked when a skewer comes out clean. Turn out onto wire racks. While the cakes are hot, brush with melted butter and dust with combined brown sugar and cinnamon. Have a piece while still warm - delicious!!

* I didn't have two 6" tins, so I used my 8" tin and the extra batter made a few cupcakes.



Enjoy your day!

25 comments:

briannelee said...

It looks really good. I love eating stuff like this for breakfast :)

Karla @ KERRISDALE DESIGN blog said...

Janis this looks delicious and simple! Maybe a tea party is in order for today....

Happy Victoria Day!

Karla

mise said...

What a fragrant treat. If someone sold them online I'd be here clicking BUY and hoping they'd be delivered warm.

BALLET NEWS said...

I can smell it already......

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Oh boy, I know what I'm making for teatime!

flo said...

It's same for us... Not Victoria Days but just a day without work...
And it's so biautiful outside... So picnic !
Your cake look so good... and photo so wonderful... as everytimes !
Have a sweet week !

Bumpkin on a Swing said...

Sounds really good, I may have to try this for afternoon coffee! I bet it smells superb!

c and d said...

looks sooo delicious. i love your tablecloth!

m.e (Cathie) said...

your pics are great!! especially the cinnamon. I also LOVE Donna Hay.
enjoy ♥

S and O said...

Awwhhhh! girl your killing my diet! *insert evil laughter* I'm not on a diet :P

Xoxo
Sarah

tamara said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

oh yum! everything you cook looks sensational and i'm always reading it late at night which usually results in the munchies!

love donna hay recipes, always a success (and for me that's pretty amazing :)

jx

Amber Whitehouse said...

Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you enjoyed NYC!! Good for you!!

nkp said...

Mmmmm. Swear I got a whiff of that spicy cinnamon just from looking at your pictures. Sounds delicious!

Johnny said...

Realmente este postre tiene aspecto de ser muy sabroso. En Catalonia tenemos un postre muy parecido que se llama "crema catalana" o natillas :)))
Barcelona te gustarĂ¡ mucho¡¡¡¡¡

Stephanie said...

I've been searching for something yummy to make for breakfast. I think I've found it! Also, I've bookmarked your chocolate chip orange cookies and can't wait to whip those up, too!

drollgirl said...

this looks so DAINTY and DELICIOUS!!! must try it out!!!!

Gigi said...

I adore cinnamon, and this recipe looks just perfect. I'm going to visit my mum this weekend. Think I'll make it for her! Thanks for the inspiration! xoxo Gigi

jan said...

this looks like a cake my grandma used to make called kuchen or something like that. which reminds me - i need that recipe - i wonder if it's the same thing? you are a such a sweet aunt!

S and O said...

Yuuuuuummmmmm...thanks for sharing your recipe with us :)
That cake looks scrumptious! Definitely looking forward to trying this out :)

xoxo
Olivia

The Zhush said...

I bet your house smelled amazing...I need these in my life! NOW!

PinkPanthress said...

Hmm... an instant tea party with a soft, warm cake! Mouthwatering! 8D~

Taylor Sterling said...

this looks so yummy! I can imagine the sweet smell! I want!

Natasha said...

Delicious! You can't go wrong with Donna Hay!

Best wishes and happy weekend,
Natasha.

Missing Goat said...

yummy! I know that little face (or mouth portion) at the end of the table. I love Donna Hay. Remember when we met her.