Monday, May 10, 2010

Baked on Monday


Hope all you had a great weekend!

I'm off to a late start today, as I have a surprise guest - my 11 year old nephew Jake! He's going to hang out with me today, so I thought he should help me bake.  Then I will get him to clean the toilets ;)

Apple Cupcakes - makes about 24
(I think this is a Donna Hay recipe)



250g butter, melted
1 1/4 cups superfine (called berry sugar in Canada) sugar
4 eggs
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon for dusting

for caramelised apples:
40g butter
1/3 cup superfine sugar
3 granny smith apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced

whipped cinnamon icing:
500g butter, softened
2 cups icing sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

To make the caramelised apples, place the butter and sugar in a large pan over low-medium heat and stir until dissolved. Add the apples and cook for 10 minutes or until caramelised. Remove apples from pan and cool completely.

Preheat oven to 320F/160C. Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and creamy. Gradually add the eggs and beat well. Sift over the flour and baking powder and beat until combined. Don't over do it. Fold in the milk and spoon mixture into two 12-hole cupcake tins lined with paper cups. Top with apples and bake for about 20 minutes, or until a bamboo skewer comes out clean. Cool on wire racks.

To make the whipped cinnamon icing, place the butter in the bowl of a mixer and beat for 5 minutes. Add the sugar and cinnamon and beat for another 10 minutes or until light and creamy. Ice cupcakes with a palette knife and dust with cinnamon. Now eat immediately!!!


Try to wait until they cool, even just a bit, to avoid injury....it's hard to do.



I know, I shouldn't have let him have two, but I'm the Auntie. We can do that.
Have to start thinking about the next Baked On Monday....what to bake? Hmm.

Check out Poppytalk for a fun "day in the country" story I shot with Heather at Missing Goat and Jan of poppytalk. Lots of fun!

Have a lovely day!

23 comments:

PinkPanthress said...

Apple Cupckaes? Never heard of it, but I will try it sometime soon!
I wonder if I can also use pears instead of apples ...hmm.

I was about to get some shut eye right now, as it is 22:23 o'clock here, when this mouth watering post showed up in my blogger-dashboard.
;) I guess, I'll dream of eating apple-cupcakes in a Vancouvian(?) Bistro/Café and the waiter will wear a black 'Underground' t-shirt.

Have a nice day with Jake.

briannelee said...

Yummmmmm... those look amazing!

Dandelion and Grey said...

Oh goodness these look delicious! What a fun day!

I am off to check out your Poppytalk post- It sounds so great!

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

yum ! and i can smell them from here....

kary

The Zhush said...

great looking treat! Will check out your links, come stop by my giveaway!

koralee said...

Aunties can do anything they want...now these look amazing..may have to bake a batch sooooooon. xoxo

Dragonfly said...

This is a great day .... except for the cleaning toilets part!!!

jonahliza said...

definitely saving this recipe. thanks, girl. they look great <3

c and d said...

loook sooooo gooodddd...reading your 'baked mondays' always makes me hungry.

jan said...

whipped cinnamon icing? mmmmmmm

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

er, yuuuum. man i'm glad my boys don't realise yet just how useless i am in the kitchen. : )

Karena said...

Janis, looks so delish! Great time for your nephew!

Karena
Art by Karena

considerthelillies said...

oh that sounds and looks delicious!! If only I wasn't trying to avoid my most favorite thing, sweets! When I fall off the wagon it might just be for these babies!

{little.happy.things} said...

Never heard of apple cupcake before...now I know it existed. I don't really cook as much as you do, but I do enjoy your cooking and baking.

shari @ little blue deer said...

Ha ha, you might have to make him clean up the kitchen before he cleans out the toilets! XO!

sarah, flourish design + style said...

Yum! I am picking up the stuff to make your chocolate chip orange zest cookies.. I have been thinking of them since you posted! Gorgeous visit to the country! Oh, and off topic, love all your features in Style at Home this month. It is very cool saying my friend Janis took these :) xoxo

mise said...

I bet Jake wants to visit again soon. What a delight to see you in Canadian House and Home, by the way (the first issue I'd seen all the way over here, you see) - I know you're often there but it suddenly dawned on me that you're a Real Person. Not that I ever thought you weren't, but you know what I mean, she said, tailing lamely off.

Post Grad Hair Cut said...

Apple cupcakes sound really tasty! You sound like you play the role of Auntie well.

Jessica Eves said...

YUM!!! I just absolutely love your blog! How tasty...

Janis Nicolay said...

Mise, you always make me laugh. Yes, I am a real person.
Sarah, good luck with the orange chocolate chip cookies. They're sooo good.
Pink Panthress, pears would be perfect too. If you ever do visit Vancouver, let me know!

Pooch Morning Glory said...

ooo great combo; apples and cinnamon.
you really come up with recipes that are unique. at least i am not familiar with them.
keepers for sure
~laura

Jen said...

Hey Sweetie! So how'd he do on the toilets?? ;-)

PinkPanthress said...

Aha, thank you and sorry for the late reply! :)

I promise you, that if I visit the City, we will meet. ;)