Monday, May 3, 2010

Baked on Monday


Did you all have a nice weekend? What did you get up to? Hope it was stress free and relaxing!

For this edition of Baked On Monday, I thought I'd introduce you to Orange Chocolate Chip cookies. The orange/chocolate combo is pretty hard to beat. Cannot leave them alone. You'll see for yourself.

Orange Chocolate Chip Cookies
(makes about 32)



2 cups of flour (self raising/all purpose)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup (or 4 oz) unsalted butter, softened
1/4 ricotta, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 tsp finely grated orange zest
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 large egg at room temperature
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Whisk the flour, baking soda and salt together, in a medium bowl, until well blended.
With a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat the butter and ricotta on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the sugar, orange zest, and vanilla and beat until well blended, about 3 minutes. Scrape down sides of the bowl. On medium speed, add the egg and beat until blended. Pour in the chocolate chips and mix until just incorporated. Cover bowl and refrigerate until a little firmer, about 30 minutes.
Heat the oven to 350F/180C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick baking liner. Drop rounded tablespoons of batter on the baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Bake until a light golden colour, about 15 minutes. Let cookies cool on sheet for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Enjoy!



These cookies never last long, but while they're around they hang out in this cute vintage Planters peanuts jar.

Not sure what next week's Baked on Monday will be. Maybe I'll try out a bar of some sort. Hmm.
Have a nice Monday!

34 comments:

mise said...

They look so tempting and I can nearly smell the orange zest. It's a bank holiday here so we're pottering and I feel the baking urge coming on.

sarah, flourish design + style said...

Yum! Do you ship ;) xx

Pink Frenchie said...

Thanks for this fun twist on the ole' classic. My hubby begs for chocolate chip cookies all the time, and now I can oblige with a new recipe.

jan said...

Those would be eaten up so fast in this house! I'm liking this "Baked on Monday" series!

briannelee said...

Yum!!!!!

Gigi said...

These are going to wreck my diet. I love orange and chocolate together! Thanks for the recipe! xoxo Gigi

Patricia said...

I love orange and chocolate together :). This is so lovely recipe!! Brava!!!
Pat

ceo said...

Looks yummy..... Can't wait to try it out...

xxx
CEO

thecascaderoom said...

Delicious, as always!

Hi everyone, please check out our blog to see some of the beautiful images Janis shot for us and which are now featured in the international design book "21st Century Bars".

Janis, please do a blog about this book so everyone can see your wonderful images.

Cheers,
The Cascade Room

Down and Out Chic said...

oh yummy! i really like your little vintage jar too.

Kerry said...

I could almost be kidded into thinking they're good for me, seeing there's fruit in there!! I think I may have to give them a whirl this weekend.

Razmataz said...

They look wonderful and I simply must give them a try.

{little.happy.things} said...

These cookies looked so tasty! I think I will try it, not on Monday but Friday! I usually try to cook something different on Fridays.

Jen said...

I think I just gained 10 pounds from the 10 imaginary orange cc cookies that I just ate! Sooo DEE-LISH-US!

Dragonfly said...

Mmmm - great combination. Looks and sounds delicious!

Jennifer said...

You had me at grated orange rind and chocolate!!!

Jennifer said...

By the way...is "Baked on Monday" a reference to what having too much wine on Sunday? LOL.

Missing Goat said...

how come I never see any of this baking?!

Pooch Morning Glory said...

hey janis
thanks for sharing the recipe... looks great!
~laura

koralee said...

Orange and chocolate...yum!

DesignTies said...

Mmmmmm, chocolate & orange is a great flavour combo :-) And I just happen to have a container of ricotta in the fridge.... :-)

We're having a Mother's Day giveaway over at DesignTies. Drop by if you have a minute and enter to win a beautiful Lisa Leonard necklace :-)

Kelly

The Zhush said...

OK, your cookies are killing me, and that cookie jar is the best!

Amy said...

Oooh, these sounds (and look) delish! I need to make them ASAP...thank you so much for the recipe. :)

xoxo
Amy

PinkPanthress said...

Hello there... they look yummy!

Just a quick question, those chocolate chips, what are they? I don't think they're the same thing which we call chocolate chips over here.
Ours are chocolate-wheatflakes Cereals... :(

Meg said...

those sound scrumptious! love that you incorporated orange zest & ricotta -- i've got to try these!!

arvi said...

aren't these illegal?

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

omg, they look divine! and i bet they smeel amazing too. would be perfect with my coffee i have right now. thanks for the recipe! jx

Amanda said...

I cannot wait to try these - orange & chocolate together is a firm favourite. Thanks for the recipe. xx

AnnaDrai said...

Mmmmmmh! I love this cookies: orage+chocolate is very good!

Che Continua said...

I am definitely trying out these! Thanks!

Rosie said...

Hmmm...this this sounds quite delectable...I love anything orange or lemon...I shall definitly give these a try...so glad to have stumbled across your delightful site...will surely visit again soon...smile on Rosie

Lady Grey said...

these homestyle cookies look perfect... especially in that cookie jar!!!

Tracy said...

Oh, that jar makes it. Love the cookies!

kcn said...

I've actually had the pleasure of eating these cookies. They are so good that I have been reduced to hiding the ones that Janis has brought over for my sons (her nephews) and eating them myself. They are THAT good.
xx hope NYC is fun, Jan...