Monday, June 14, 2010

Baked on Monday - Apricot Coconut Bars


It's sunny today, so it seemed like a day for apricot coconut bars. I'm heading out to visit Heather and Midge, and these bars will be coming with me, as they go down way too fast, and I can't be trusted.

Apricot Coconut Bars

For the crust:
5 ounces all purpose flour
2 tblsp sugar
pinch of salt
4 oz cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (must be cold butter or be ready for disappointment!)



For the topping:
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
2 tblsp apricot jam
1 tblsp all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pure almond extract
1 cup firmly packed chopped dried apricots
1/4 sweetened shredded coconut

Make the crust: Position oven rack in the bottom third of the oven and heat oven to 350f/180c. Lightly grease and 8 inch square pan, and line bottom with parchment paper. Combine the flour, sugar and salt in a food processor. Add butter cubes and pulse until mixture resembles pea size pebbles. You could also cut in butter with a pastry cutter. Pour the dough into the pan and press down to form an even layer. Bake until the crust is lightly golden, about 25-30 minutes. Transfer to wire rack and leave oven set to 350f/180c.

Make the topping: While the crust is baking, combine the brown sugar, egg, apricot jam, flour, baking powder, salt and almond extract in a medium size bowl. Whisk until blended, then stir in chopped apricots and coconut. Scrape the topping out onto the baked crust and spread evenly. Continue baking until the topping is brown around the edges, and a pick inserted into the centre comes out just a bit sticky - about 20 minutes. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool completely before inverting onto a cutting board. Using a warm, thin bladed knife, trim off edges and cut into bars.


Store at room temperature, or freeze in an airtight container separating the layers with waxed paper....if you don't eat them all within a day!


Enjoy!

26 comments:

Gigi said...

Okay, I'll admit that I came back this morning because you mentioned yesterday that you'd have a bar recipe posted today! I'm so in the mood for something sweet, and these look perfect. I will definitely be making them this week. My only question is do I make them when some one's coming to visit or when NO one's coming to visit?! Hmmmm . . . I'm feeling a little greedy and a little needy, so I think you can guess the answer to that question!

Thanks for the great recipe. xo Gigi

flo said...

It's MooOoOnday... And it's always so Miam...

Jenny Schouten Short said...

Yummy looking. I will try them this week. Thanks.

mise said...

If you're heading over to Heather's with these, just hold on a second while I grab my hat. I'm coming too.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Boy, those look so good.
Anything for coconut!

PinkPanthress said...

I love the golden colouring the topping has in the last few pictures! :) I need to try this out!

Andrea Johnson said...

Yum Yum!! I always look forward to your recipes. I am not a baker at all so hopefully I can pull these off:)

Marisa Midori said...

Oh wow these look incredible! I will definitely be making and consuming some of these in the near future.

Missing Goat said...

Ladies - I've finally had some of these bakings that Janis makes. YUM!!! I ate..well, 4 bars. Had she brought more, or not eaten some herself, I would have had more. This is delicious! thanks for sharing Janis.

jan said...

Oh yum Janis!

sarah, flourish design + style said...

You're killing me with these recipes. I have not wanted to bake in a LONG time, but you are totally tempting and inspiring me. Thank YOU! xx

liza said...

I love your blog. I found you a few weeks ago through Flourish Design and Style and I'm now a follower of yours. Thanks for being here!

jackie kersh said...

yummmyyyy! and lovely photos to boot.

Carlene said...

Your photos are amazing!!! I love your recipe I think imma try this one!

http://itsheavenly.blogspot.com/

Petra said...

Hi,
I discovered your blog via Carte Blanche. Great photograpy. I can see it's your job. I'll definitely try some recipes. You have got a new follower.
Regards, Petra

koralee said...

These so appeal to me! I love apricots...I grew up in the Okanagan...my favourite summertime fruit of all time. xoxox

christine said...

Two of my favorite things... yum, yum, double yum!! Can't wait to try these :)

soulflower said...

looks delish...but ive got to cool it on the baking this week...i made the last one twice last week!

flo said...

What... No more french language...
Yum = Miam ? It's not a real word in french... It's just for say : it's so good...
If it's ok : so Yum, yum, yum...

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

looks delish, and love your styling+images. really cool! jx

Monica said...

This looks so good! I hope I can find some good apricots so I can make them!

Mademoiselle Frou-Frou said...

what i would give to have one of those right now...
looks like a wonderful recipe!
xox alison

lisa golightly said...

O my, all of my favorite ingredients all in one place ! Dangerous ! XO Lisa

Jen said...

I love anything with apricots!! These look DEE-LISH-US!

Melissa said...

Mmm, this sounds so delicious. Definitely bookmarking this recipe!

jawcey said...

Yum - those look SO good! I just found your blog through Poppycock and I LOVE it! Will definitely try your recipes :)