Monday, June 7, 2010

Baked on Monday - Lemon Hazelnut Loaf


Hope a lovely weekend was had by all. I just got back from a very quick trip to Toronto. I'd been nominated for a couple of National Magazine Awards for stories I shot for Style At Home. My decision to go was at the last minute. Didn't win, but it was so much fun....and it really was nice just to be nominated. I think I'm finally sober now ;)

I woke up craving this delicious lemon hazelnut loaf. It's baking as I type. Instead of making one loaf, I've used mini pans to make six of them. Looks way cuter as well!

Lemon Hazelnut Loaf (or loaves!)
makes one large loaf or six small


125g butter, softened
1 cup berry sugar (a.k.a. caster or super fine)
plus 1/4 cup extra sugar (for lemon syrup)
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 chopped hazelnuts
Grated rind and juice of a large lemon (or 2 small lemons)

Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Grease one large loaf tin or six small tins.

Cream butter well, then add sugar and beat again. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add sifted flour and salt, and milk, alternatively. Add hazelnuts and lemon rind. Pour batter into one large tin or divide evenly into six small tins. If using large tin bake for about 40-45 minutes. Bake 25 minutes if using small tins. 




For lemon syrup, combine lemon juice and remaining sugar in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved.  Pour syrup over loaf while still hot. Let cool in tin. Enjoy!!



14 comments:

Yvonne said...

mmh, your cakes looks so delicous!
Have a nice week,
Yvonne

Karla @ KERRISDALE DESIGN blog said...

Beautiful pictures and yummy recipe as usual! Ben saw these shots and is now begging for us to make it today :)

Sounds like a fun weekend at the Magazine Awards...a well deserved nomination!

Karla

mise said...

That looks delicious. I'll have to get myself some of those cute small tins. Well done on the nominations - your photography, even of cake tins, is superb.

kate / tinywarbler said...

glad to hear you had fun! ;)
those look so good. and cute! i'm loving the nani iro too.

Pooch Morning Glory said...

congrats on the nominations. im going to be moving about 45 minutes from toronto in the fall. could be fun....
i have yet to bake your stuff but the lemon zest looks really beautiful. i did make traditional raisin scones last week. they were pretty awesome.
have a great day
~laura

the southern hostess said...

Ooo, love this flavor combination. Yum!

Irene b said...

it seemes to be delicciuos, but whe I open your blog I can only think about your photo: i love the first one!

Casa Mia * My House * said...

Yummy lemon loaves, yummy! Congrats on you nomination. Enjoy your week!

Missing Goat said...

another delicious treat that I'll never sample.
sigh. Maybe today....you'll surprise me?

Vanessa said...

YUMMY!! Must have a lemon hazelnut loaf NOW!

jan said...

Oh Yum! I love anything lemony - so i can hardly wait to get an oven to try this!

PinkPanthress said...

Oh yes, that looks very³ yummy! :D

I think it's great you were nominated. ;) Congratulations & I hope the trip was good fun to you!

soulflower said...

delicious! i had almonds instead of hazelnuts...it turned out wonderfully...i even blogged about it! Thanks!

Poppies and Sunshine said...

This sounds incredible!! I love lemon.