Monday, June 28, 2010

Baked on Monday - Oatmeal Raspberry Chocolate Muffins



By the sound of some of your comments regarding Friday Fantasies, you all had lovely weekends. Happy to hear it!

This week I've baked a batch of oatmeal raspberry chocolate muffins. They seem a bit more sensible and slightly less sugary and fatty than past recipes! Having said that, they are pretty bloody delicious.

Oatmeal Raspberry Chocolate Muffins - makes 12


1 cup milk at room temperature
1 tsp white vinegar
1 cup rolled oats (do not use 'quick' oats)
1 large egg at room temperature
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup melted butter (allow to cool a little before adding)
1 cup plus 2 tblsp all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp nutmeg, freshly ground
1/2 tsp cinnamon, freshly ground
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
1/2 dark chocolate chips or chunks

Combine milk, vinegar and oats in a bowl and let stand for one hour.
Preheat oven to 375f. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin and line with papers.
Crack egg into the oat mixture then sugar and stir to combine. Stir in melted butter. Sift remaining ingredients into the bowl  (flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, spices). Fold in to batter, gently, taking care not to over mix. Add raspberries and chocolate and fold in gently.


Scoop batter with a 1/3 cup and place in each cup. Bake for about 15-18 minutes, until light brown on top. When ready, tops should spring back when touched. Allow to cool in tins....if you can wait that long.



Eat up!

31 comments:

jan said...

chocolate raspberry? why i've never had one....

Dyche Designs said...

Yum, they sound delicious. I baked a carrot cake yesterday and am still enjoying the fruits of my labors. :0)

Trish said...

WOW! These sound amazing, what a delicious combination of ingredients, I don't think I've ever had oatmeal and raspberries, let alone adding in the dark chocolate, YUMMM! Thanks for the recipe and for the GORGEOUS pictures!! Wish I had a muffin to go with my afternoon coffee right now! :)

Courtney said...

Oh my goodness, these look absolutely delicious. I am a huge muffin fan, and a huge raspberry fan, and a huge chocolate fan. I'm definitely going to try these. Thank you!!

Diana said...

Those raspberries would not even make it into the muffins, in MY kitchen! Wait, I have a kitchen?

hatjunkie said...

Wow! Maybe I could convince myself they are healthy. Rasberries, oats.... O.K, I'll try it.

lisaroyhandbags said...

oatmeal and raspberry sound awesome, but adding chocolate??? heaven!! : )

koralee said...

OK....I will be making these tomorrow...amazing! I will be dreaming of these tonight. Thanks ...xoxo

tamara said...

These are truly delicious....thank you for letting me have some.....you made this pregnant person very happy. xx

{little.happy.things} said...

chocolate + raspberry = perfect combination! I think I will try these when we have a bigger air conditioner in 2 days...now it's just too hot for me to bake...

Petra said...

I'm sure gonna try these. Looks delicious. And again, I love your photo's.

The Cedar Shingled Barn said...

YUMMMMMM! That pretty much sums up how I feel about your delicious looking muffins!

XO,
Valerie

NoeKs blogt... said...

Thanks for your comment ;)
And I will definitely follow back, I love the receipe's I saw...

mise said...

Recipes involving vinegar and standing time are wonderfully redolent of Victorian science. Anything made this way must be Real Food.

Liz said...

um, these look INCREDIBLE. Putting these on the must bake list!

Love your blog! :)

Creative Coquette said...

I love the photos!! Great color combination as well.

I love raspberries and I love chocolate but I can't mix any fruit besides bananas with my chocolate [awkward shy grin]. I wonder if I could use bananas instead? Hmmm, those muffins wouldn't end up looking as appealing to the eye though.

briannelee said...

Oooo, I love anything with chocolate ;)

shari @ little blue deer said...

Yum, and your photos are gorgeous, too! Good job! XO!

the southern hostess said...

There are just too many good things going on with these muffins.

Kristen said...

what a yummy combo! i'll have to try it :) thanks for the recipe!!

Pooch Morning Glory said...

i made these tonight. i had only steel cut raw oats, used strawberries cuz thats what i had, and kefir instead of milk. they ROCK even with all my adjustments
thanks
~laura

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Oh my what gorgeous combination! Must try this soon, very soon. Hugs for a happy sunny Wednesday! xx

wishful nals said...

these look soooo good! two of my favorite things: raspberries and oatmeal. yum, yum!

FEDERICA said...

Mmmmmmmm yummy!!!

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

These look delicious.
I'm afraid I'd eat all the raspberries before they ever made it into the batter!

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Oh my..slurppp. Thank you so much for this great recipe. I know how to please my family this weekend!!

Happy Wed. to you ~

My Owl Barn said...

This is making my mouth water! Yummy!

The Zhush said...

Your baked on Monday posts, recipes AND photos would make such a great cook book...called "Baked on Monday at the Pinecone Camp" dont you think?!

Amy said...

YUMMY! I want to eat one right off the page!

Pinecone Camp said...

Ms. Zhush, you read my mind. ;)

You Are My Fave said...

These look amazing.