Friday, February 11, 2011

Baked - Almond Butter Maple Cookies


Whoohoo, it's Friday! I hope you all have great weekends planned.  Will you be celebrating Valentine's Day early?

Speaking of Valentine's Day, I have to admit I don't get all that worked up about it. I expect Valentine's Day to be a year round, any given day, kind of thing. Daily, sweet and kind, gestures are my cup of tea. My husband gets off scott-free.

To celebrate the day of love, I've baked some "heart healthy" cookies. Almond Butter Maple Cookies. Almonds and maple make a very good team. Does this count as a Valentine's cookie? Is calling a cookie "heart healthy" remotely romantic?

Almond Butter Maple Cookies - makes one dozen
(this recipe is from "Alive" magazine)

1/2 cup almond butter
1/2 cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract (I used vanilla. Didn't have almond. Rats.)
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 almonds, chopped


Preheat oven 350f/180c (keep in mind that the dough has to be refrigerated for an hour).
In a bowl, mix together the almond butter, maple syrup, oil and extract. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until combined. Fold in chopped almonds. Refrigerate dough for at least one hour.


Roll heaping tablespoons of dough into balls, and place onto parchment paper lined baking sheet, and flatten to about 1/3". Bake for about 10 minutes, or until edges start to turn golden brown. They smell so good!


Have a great weekend! Back Soon. 
Janis

PS
My friend Jan, over at Poppytalk, gave me the heads up about a little mention at House and Home. Thank you to Rieko Caron for including me on her list of "Great Canadian Design Blogs". It's so nice to be lumped in with some of my favourite blogs! Perked up a rainy day.

17 comments:

lisaroyhandbags said...

congrats to you!! well deserved - no one gets my mouth watering like you do with your delectable treats and beautiful photography!
Happy Valentine's weekend to you and your honey - these sweets sound delicious and romantic (it's all about how much love you put into them!)
xo

Kerry said...

Crumbs, it's not Monday already is it! I'm completely with you about the whole Valentine's thing, and big pats on the back for your fab mention. Was there ever any doubt?

Lynn {hearted girl} said...

oh maja congrats on that house and home mention, i will be sure to check it out! most deserved, i LOVE your blog, so full of goodness. hello lovely cookies from heaven, i think yes heart healthy sounds romantic total! i mean there is the word "heart" involved after all ; )

happy weekend and thanks again for the tasty insp today. ♥

vintagelaundress said...

Yum! and Happy Valentine's Day to you. Also congrats on the House and Home inclusion on Great Canadian Design Blogs - something I've known for quite some time now!

xo,
LeAnn

theolivetree said...

Those look amazing~

Dawn said...

Oh too yummy.
And hugs to you EVERY day...
(I don't like Valentines Day...isn't that scroogy of me?)
:)

Christopher Hinn said...

Wow! Thanks for that great recipe! Looks so yummy!

le@thirdontheright said...

look delic ! yum le

shellie said...

these are definitely up my alley....yes i have already baked,packed and delivered some yummy gifts already....its my favorite...i will be decorating the house this weekend....its too pretty of a holiday to skip....for me its not about the romantic aspect of it...its the pure prettiness of it and giving a token of friendship....i have felt this way since i was a small child....my mother always gave us gift heart packages from sees candy as far back as i can remember....sorry so long....but i could go on forever!!!! i hope yours is sweet!

telephone answering service said...

These are looking so nice and delicious. Also the recipe is not as difficult as of other brownies and cookies. Nice sharing dear

'odd and old' Linda Dacey said...

shame i only have flour
in my oh so tragic cupboard!
and good for you
we all need encouragement and praise sometimes to make us feel that
we are on the right track
which leads me to thank you
for your recent generous comment
about my wee recent collage;
merci encore...

°°°

BALLET NEWS said...

I'm going to have a go at this....

kate / tinywarbler said...

congrats! that's great janis, well deserved!
and yum..............

Gigi said...

Congratulations on the mention! It is definitely well deserved. I think heart-healthy cookies do, indeed, qualify as romantic. We want our sweethearts' hearts to keep beating for a long time to come!

Happy Valentine's Day! xo Gigi

c and d said...

these sound delicious and healthy! and congrats on the 'beautiful blog' - well deserved, well deserved..xo

Pinecone Camp said...

Linda, it can be hard putting yourself out there so it is nice to receive lovely comments. I love what you do and your etsy shop!
Thanks Gigi for making me feel a little less unromantic.;)

Robert Chaplin rca said...

mmmm...cookie monster likes cookies :)