Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Rainy Weekend with Books


I hope you all had a fun Valentine's Day!

This past weekend was a rainy one, so it was a perfect excuse to pour through some wallpaper and design books to get some inspiration. I find it a little difficult to make a final decision when it comes to wallpaper. What if I put it up and it looks hideous?

Here are a few of my rainy weekend reads. They're not brand new so many of you may know of them, but for those of you that don't, I highly recommend them!

Pattern by Orla Kiely 2010

I was given this book by my friend, Nikki, who knows how much I love this woman. Orla Kiely designs everything from handbags, to furniture and bed linen. It's a good insight into how she works. This book is filled with beautiful images, and fits the bill if you love pattern, mid-century design and fashion.



Wallpaper by Charlotte Abrahams 2009


Page after page of stunning wallpapered rooms, unique ways to use wallpaper and samples of different styles of paper. Fantastic to flip through on a rainy day...or any day for that matter!



Florence Broadhurst  Her Secret and Extraordinary Lives by Helen O'Neill 2006

I've been obsessed with this woman for years. She was all shades of eccentric, and I think that's why I love her.  This book covers her life, from the early days as a singer, then to her days as a wallpaper designer to her murder in 1977. Her killer has never been found. Nothing like some design inspiration mixed with a little intrigue.



That's it for now! Have a lovely day.
janis





20 comments:

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

oh...my favorite subject..i LOVE wallpaper....

great books

hope this letter finds you well...

waiting for RAIN down here in California....finally

Happy to visit today, my friend

Kary and teddy
xxx

shopgirl said...

Hi Janis! I can't remember if I ever came by and let you know that I passed on the Trendy Blog Award to you last week. I'm sorry if I didn't. I've been terribly swamped with work. Congrats sweetie! Hope you had a lovely Valentine's Day!

Laura-Bear said...

ooo so much good stuff going on here. Super inspiring!

I am sure whatever you choose it will not look hideous.

sarah, flourish design + style said...

Oh my gosh.. I would love to be confident enough to put up that gorgeous paper, it looks AMAZING! x

Heather said...

There are so many great wallpapers out now, it will be hard to choose!

the chirpy bird said...

AMAZING! There's nothing like custom crafted wallpaper!
xx tash

Vintage Home said...

...you will make the best choice......show us what you do!

jennifer@nicolejanehome said...

When I spent weeks peeling old wallpaper off the walls in our foyer/staircase I swore I would never, ever put up wallpaper. Happily, I've come to my senses, and I'm now obsessed with gorgeous wallpaper patterns :)

Dawn said...

Ahhh...I have been wanting to wallpaper a particular wall for years...but been too nervous. So glad you gave me these to look at. I feel a tad braver:)
Let us see your work if/when you bite the wallpaper bullet:))

gbf... said...

the book looks gorgeous - i love patterns + your friends wallpapered rooms look fabulous. dayle

Martina said...

Amazing wallpapers in your friends house! Since i hang a lot of big, colorful paintings i opt for white walls, but i love these looks on photos!

mise said...

Thanks Janis, I can see a few of these appearing on my bedside table soon. I love wallpaper and buy odd rolls here and there, but am never brave enough to paper a room.

Jan | Poppytalk said...

i know what you mean about being afraid to put up wallpaper; I'm the same way. so hard to commit. i think it's because i grow tired of things so easily.

i love all shades of eccentric - and never heard of her before. there was a woman who owned a store on main street who was like that; - i was looking for a cheap bedroom dresser and she took me on an amazing adventure in her truck one day through the back allies of vancouver looking for furniture (on the way to her warehouse). i bought that vintage luggage & hat suitcase from her (that i think you photographed?) - a dresser and an old plaid trunk (that i now wished i had never threw out).

lisaroyhandbags said...

thanks for the heads up on some great books! I love Orla Kiely's book but haven't seen the others. I often think about wallpaper but have had to remove so much of it over the years that it keeps me from leaping in. I think for me stencilling would be a better choice - at least I can paint over it when I get tired of the pattern. hope your Valentine's Day included a bit of romance too xo

c and d said...

i'm dying to wallpaper one of the walls in our home! those pictures of your friend's home are gorgeous...very inspiring.

Robe said...

There's nothing better than a rainy day, a comfy couch, home brewed coffee and a great design book!!!

kate / tinywarbler said...

love reading on a rainy day! that orla book looks great!
i love the florence broadhurst one. i'm reading 'just kids' by patti smith, not design but i still find it inspiring.

the southern hostess said...

What a lovely weekend! That wallpaper is gorgeous.

julie said...

Aren't they great. I've read two out of three! I read Secret and.... awhile ago but only just got Pattern for xmas. I really enjoyed reading Orla's thoughts on pattern and how her business grew. I actually got more than I expected from the book, pretty pictures and some wisdom.

elisa rathje said...

fascinating! and beautiful. i tend to paper very small things for now. i love that last story, eep! x