Monday, February 21, 2011

Baked


Did you all have nice weekends? I think many of you are enjoying a long weekend, but us poor souls in B.C. are not. What's up B.C.? By the way, I think the February holiday (for Canada) should be "Flag Day" on the 15th to celebrate the anniversary of our flag as we know it. Just a thought. What do you all think?

I baked samosas over the weekend, with some mango chutney, and they were really simple to make and pretty tasty. Perfect for a cocktail party, or just to pick at all day like they are calorie-free.

Baked Samosas - makes about 20

Samosa dough:
2 cups of all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ajwain seeds (you can find these in the "international" aisle of your grocery store)
6 tablespoons of vegetable oil
2/3 cup water


Mix the above ingredients together in a bowl, and knead a little before covering with a tea towel. Set aside while making the filling.


Samosa filling:
2 medium size potatoes (peeled and cut into 1/2 cubes and boiled until just soft)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup peas (fresh would be nice, but I had to use frozen.)
2 tablespoons of fresh coriander (a.k.a. cilantro)
1 teaspoon chilli powder (Indian style, not Mexican)
1 teaspoon amchur powder (dried mango)
1 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/4 teaspoon salt


Heat oil on medium heat and, when hot, add potatoes and "mash" up a bit, then add all the other ingredients. Done.

To make samosas, break up dough into about 10 pieces, and roll into balls. Roll out balls to about a 6"  disc. Cut disc in half, smear a little water along the edges, and shape into a cone. Press seam to seal.  Fill cone with about 2 tablespoons of filling and fold top over, and pinch to close. Make sure it is sealed, so you don't lose any of the filling.



Place samosas on a non-stick baking sheet, brush a little oil on the tops and bake for about 25 - 30 minutes, or until a light golden brown. They smell amazing while baking!

Mango Chutney:
1 teaspoon safflower oil (or just plain old vegetable oil)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 small red chillis, seeded and chopped finely
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 large mangos, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
4 tablespoons raw sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt


To make the chutney:
Heat oil in a saucepan on medium-low heat. Add the garlic, chilli, and cumin seeds and saute until light golden. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 10-15 minutes, making sure to stir often so it doesn't stick or burn.


As I mentioned, they make a great cocktail snack, but they are also perfect for the morning-after-the- cocktail-party snack as well. This is what my husband told me, anyway. ;)

Have a nice Monday....even if it's not a holiday for you! Back soon!
Janis

28 comments:

c and d said...

you have me starving now! they look amazing. and i love that you did all from scratch. cute pink indian fabric too...

c and d said...

p.s. flag day? sounds good to me!

Marisa Midori said...

Mmm I love samosas! The photo of all the spices is so gorgeous and colourful. I love making Indian food because all of the wonderful colours and smells always put me in a good mood.

P.S. Any excuse for a long weekend sounds good to me ;)

the chirpy bird said...

How is it that you always manage to make me feel hungry. Even when I've just eaten lunch?!
xo tash

the southern hostess said...

I'm so impressed. These would hit the spot right about now.

Angie@Echoes of Laughter said...

Yum! I love any excuse to eat chutney! Angie xo

sunday collector said...

Stunning colours! Love the potato shot. Your photo's always make me hungry!

Jan | Poppytalk said...

yum that looks so good!

Vintage Home said...

..seeing as everyday should be family day ...I like flag day!....yummy food!

Martina said...

Sounds and looks yummy - that first image is so pretty!

Renee (eatliveshop.com) said...

Samosas are the best and these look incredible!

Missing Goat said...

February is a bit of a bunk month - it seems to come and go so fast, has that whole valentines pressure in the middle, then it snows. Again.
I'm ready for March..

kimberly @ craftyland said...

okay you've got my mouth watering and i'm even allergic to mango! these look fantastic, and your pictures are amazing, as usual!

kimberly.

Jordana @ White Cabana said...

Yum! I love, love, love samosas! I used to work with a lot of Indians and they always spoiled me with delicious samosas. Looks like a great recipe but I'm not so sure I could pull them off. Very impressed!
-Jordana

Natasha said...

Goodness those look so good and i'm craving Indian food now. Such beautiful photos!
Natasha xo

Jenn said...

Oh yum! When I lived within walking distance of a Whole Foods, samosas were my favorite item from their deli/hot bar. So good! I've never even thought about making them (they seemed so difficult!) ... thanks for the inspiration :).

jennifer@nicolejanehome said...

Yum! It's nearly midnight and now I'm craving samosas :) I also think you're on to something brilliant with Flag Day. We need a February holiday!

lisaroyhandbags said...

These look so yummy and easy to make! I'll have to wait until I'm back in Canada though - I'll never find the spices here - I can't even find dill or minced onion! :)

SnOOp said...

I haven't eaten today so only if somehow i could grab out of the computer this very second this dish... YUM!!!!

Robe said...

These are unbelievably delicious!!!!!!

silverpebble said...

You've just made my mouth water - these look truly delicious. Thanks for the recipe!

Monika said...

These look delicious, I want some now :)

Lady Grey said...

These look amazing! I love that picture of the spices. I have to try this sometime, I love samosas!!
xox

Lynn {hearted girl} said...

janis, not only does that look just scrump-ness but heck of a good call on flag day!!! we sure do need a Feb stat, i'm in full agreement lades.

every one of your photos has me more and more appetized (like hypnotized but with a tasty result)! you know, the other night i heated up some organic samosas and only ate 2 (the rest were going to be for lunch the next day) but the boyf unknowingly threw away the chutney. gosh darn him anyway.

i wish i would have seen this earlier, it would have saved my taste buds! happy new weekend wishes. ♥

elisa rathje said...

yum, i made that years and years ago! i'll have to make some, they look great. xx

Pinecone Camp said...

I'm happy to hear that "Flag Day" would work for some of you!

Lynn, you really need to teach your boyfriend that chutney should never be thrown out. ;)

Thanks to you all for taking the time to comment!

Laura-Bear said...

ooo yum. It's past my bedtime here and these would be the perfect midnight snack right now! ;)

Chelsea said...

These look awesome! How hot do you bake them? Did I miss the temp?

Thanks!