Monday, May 2, 2011


Happy Monday. It's been an interesting last few days, hasn't it? Hope you all had a good, and very royal, weekend.

I tried making brioche for the first time. I'm pretty pleased with the taste and texture, but the shapes are a bit off. I think I put too much dough into each tin, so they're pretty massive for the tin size. Oh well, I'll know for next time!
By the way, these do take a lot of time to make, but most of that time the dough is just sitting in the fridge. Definitely worth the effort!

Brioche - makes about 12 plus a few mini loaves.
(the size of the brioche tin I used measures 3" across the top and 1.5" bottom. mini loaf tin measures 4.5"x2.5"x1.25")

1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
5 cups of all purpose flour
1 cup of hot water (about 125f)
6 eggs
1 cup unsalted butter, softened and cut into pieces

For glaze:
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon water

In bowl of a heavy mixer with paddle attachment, mix yeast, sugar, salt and 1 cup of the flour. Add the hot water and beat at medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to medium-low and add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in 2 cups more of the remaining flour. Add butter, a few pieces at a time, beating until completely incorporated. Gradually add remaining flour to make a very sticky, soft dough. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm spot until doubled in bulk, about 3 hours.  Gently deflate dough then cover and refrigerate over night.

Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Use a little flour to keep hands floured, but no more than a 1/4 cup extra, and gently knead dough into a ball. Break up dough into 4 pieces then roll into 12 inch logs. Cut 3 logs into equal pieces and place into brioche tins. Cut an X on top of each. With the remaining dough, cut into small pieces and roll into smaller balls and press gently into each X. I had extra dough, so I made a few mini loaves as well (not shown).

Stir egg yolks with the teaspoon of water, and brush over tops of brioche. Cover lightly and let rise in a warm spot for about 45 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.

Bake in centre of 400f/200c oven for about 18-20 minutes, or until golden. Let cool a little in tins, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely....if you want to wait that long.

By the way, apparently these are perfect for freezing. Just wrap each one separately, then place in an airtight container. Should last for up to 60 days.

Have a great day everyone! Back soon.


Jan | Poppytalk said...

these look so good. so tell me, how do you not gain weight making all these baked goods? are you human?

Callie Grayson said...

mmmm I love Brioche!

Lady Grey said...

well they certainly look delicious! And your pictures have so much soul - I always want to make everything you post!

lisaroyhandbags said...

these look so lovely!! I've never tried making brioche but after seeing yours I think I might give it a shot :)

Maggy said...

it's certainly more than I would endeavor - looks amazing! Blood orange spread? How did I not know about this?

Rachel from Birch + Bird said...

Oh, yum! I must try this recipe with my girls. We love anything made of dough. ;)

Carolyn said...

Sounds good! Thanks for the recipe!

1 Year Old Birthday Party Ideas

mise said...

Oh how lovely. It's something I never thought to make at home, but yours look much nicer than the shop/café versions, which are always a bit too plastic-perfect.

kate / tinywarbler said...

i feel so lucky i got to sample some of these, they are sooo good and well worth the time you put in for them!
that dough looks crazy sticky.

c and d said...

those look amazing, as usual. i love brioche and the texture of these look so good. i had some brioche french toast with caramalized pecans fairly rencently, yummy.

Haute World said...

Oh, I do love brioche. Never tried making them myself though, but I just might now that I have the recipe!

lyndsay said...

i have never made brioche! but it has the loveliest name, doesn't it?

these look divine. blood orange spread sounds like a great little idea too! ^__^