Monday, May 16, 2011

Baked


Oh Monday, you always arrive so fast. Hope you all had a good weekend!

I picked up some fresh, local rhubarb on the weekend, so I could make this recipe. It's from a 2006 Donna Hay magazine. I did make a couple of changes...just needed to tone down the sweet factor. ;)

Rhubarb & Dumplings - makes about 6 (or 3 large ones, in my case!)

500g* (about 1 lb) rhubarb, trimmed and chopped
*(I used about 800g, as I found it to be too watery with just 500g)
2* cups berry/caster sugar
*(2 cups of sugar is too much for my taste, so I used just one cup.) ;)
2 cups water
2 cups all purpose flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking powder, sifted
150g unsalted butter
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup berry/caster sugar, extra
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
icing sugar for dusting


Place the rhubarb, sugar and water in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until rhubarb is tender. Remove from heat and set aside.


Preheat oven to 355f/180c. Place the flour, extra sugar, baking powder and butter in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Gradually add the milk and vanilla and continue mixing until a smooth dough forms.


Turn dough out onto work surface and break up into 6 equal portions. Divide the rhubarb mixture into 6 1 1/2 cup ovenproof dishes.


Carefully place the dumplings on top and bake for about 20-25 minutes or until a skewer, inserted into centre of dumpling, comes out clean. Allow to cool. Dust with icing sugar to serve.


I didn't have 6 "ovenproof dishes" or ramekins, I just had 3 little cake pans, which worked out just fine.
Very quick to make, and easy too. Give it a whirl!

Have a great day. Back on Wednesday.
janis

31 comments:

Callie Grayson said...

Oh, I will!! I love rhubarb!! I would love to try and grown my own rhubarb so I can have it all the time during season.
mmmm looks so tasty!
xx
callie

Crunchy Diva said...

look soo yummy!!

c and d said...

?? never heard of something like this! and looks so very delicious...
i love your little cake pans too.

Jim said...

Such nice photos. What is your favorite? I like the rhubarb stalks I think. It is hard to come in tight on something like the stalks and still have it be beautiful. And of course you, the photographer, have to decide just exactly where to focus to hold it all together!

sarah, flourish design + style said...

I have such a weakness for rhubarb! Yum :)

Missing Goat said...

now I know what to do with the masses of rhubarb outside! yum.

shellie said...

Can you believe I have never tasted rhubarb? They look delicious though!

Jan | Poppytalk said...

i think you need to make a cookbook. call it "baked" the images are amazing and they all look so delicious! seriously, i'm serious!

koralee said...

Hi my friend....so glad I came by today...I have missed your lovely images. Your rhubarb looks yummy...my fridge is full of rhubarb so may just give this a try. Thanks so much! xo

Anonymous said...

Rhubarb is such a delicious thing,one of my favourites by far.Poached,roasted,sweet,savoury,it's all good!

Briar {Sunday Collector} said...

You had me at the word dumplings - um, YUM!!

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

This looks divine! I also love the tablecloth you've used in the shots, do you know where it's from?

monkeemoomoo said...

I made my first dumplings (potato) this week. They were a bit of a disaster. I didn't think I'd be making dumplings again anytime soon. This recipe has made me rethink my decision. YUM!!! I looove rhubarb:)

silverpebble said...

This looks so delicious (and so pretty!) I have a VERY healthy (slightly scarily big) rhubarb plant in my garden so many thanks for the idea. It sounds like a lovely alternative to crumble, crisp or cobbler.

mise said...

A novel idea, and very tempting! Rhubarb served any way is good for me.

Natasha said...

Wow, that looks delicious! I love rhubarb too, any which way!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

Monica said...

beautiful and tantalising shots!

i hdad no idea rhubarb was so yummy until i lived in England. it really is, just doesn't sound like it would be.

these sound scrumptious.

designchic said...

This looks delicious!!

Pooch Purple Reign said...

i didnt know i had rhubarb on this property until my neighbours hinted that the lady that lived here before me always shared. i told them not to worry, that i will share too :)
it is just starting to grow tho its been so chilly here. im sure it will be worth waiting for
thanks for the recipe
~laura xx

Robe said...

I love the overhead shot of the chopped stalks in the saucepan!

julie said...

I love rhubarb. My grandad had a plant, so we used to eat copious amounts as children.

Maggy said...

i am SO glad you posted this, it reminded me how much I love rhubarb...you just don't see it enough! looks AMAZING.

Vintage Home said...

yum yum yum yum yum!

Rachel from Birch + Bird said...

I love rhubarb! My mom makes the best rhubarb pie, well actually, she just makes great pies, period. Unfortunately, I haven't ventured into pie-making so this recipe is perfect. I'll have to give it a try.

Lynn {hearted girl} said...

Janis, that dish just looks like heaven for the taste buds! as always, your photography is flawless and i adore your tablecloth for the shoot too. this could be interesting, i'm pretty sure i have that mag in my arsenal (DH is a fave for sure!) and will be digging around to see if i can find it. thanks for the recipe share, just in case though!

wishing you a great rest of the week, it's a sunny one for us, yahhhh! ♥

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

janis, will you please adopt me??!! it wouldnt be too weird cos i have an aussie accent after all.

ok.

it would be kind of weird, becuase i'm older than you.

but.

I

L
O
V
E

R
H
U
B
A
R
B
!
!


heaps!

xx

Pinecone Camp said...

Jules, my new daughter, I'm so happy you love rhubarb! Welcome to our home. ;)
By the looks of all of your comments, it seems everyone is a fan of this delicious delicious vegetable! Hooray for rhubarb!

jessica said...

this looks so yummy!! i need to make this ASAP!

Pretty Little World said...

I love rhubarb!! This looks so tasty! Maybe they'll have some at the farmer's market tomorrow - fingers crossed!

mel said...

ooooh yum!
i have some rhubarb in my kitchen, how convenient...

lesley [smidgebox] said...

i'll chime in here, rhubarb is my fave! i have never seen a dessert {or, in my case, lunch!} quite like this, definitely bookmarking it and trying it out asap!