Wednesday, May 11, 2011

A Legendary Architect's Garden


I had the honour of shooting Arthur Erickson's garden, last year, for Canadian Gardening (May 2011 issue). He has designed incredible buildings all over North America. Two of those are the Museum of Anthropology, here in Vancouver, and was co-designer of Simon Fraser University. Personally, I would love to live in one of his homes. They are simply stunning. Arthur was still designing, right up to his death, in 2009 at 84.


Karen York, who wrote the story, was told about some legendary parties that Arthur would throw. My favourite is the one where he brought in black swans for the pond and the famous ballet dancer, Rudolf Nureyev, danced over the moss mound. Oh how I would love to have been there. Can you imagine?




If you're in the Vancouver area and want to check out the garden for yourself, they do offer tours.
Click here for details.

Have a lovely day! Back soon.
janis


 

18 comments:

considered design said...

Looks like a very pretty spot PC, your photographs as ever, certainly do it justice. Incredibly humble in scale too by the look of things, especially for arguably the Pacific Northwest's most prolific Architect. We really should get out and see it ourselves at some point...maybe when the sun decides to make an appearance again.....

Callie Grayson said...

wow, these photos are truly beautiful! Great work Janis!!!
The gardens are pure heaven!
xx
callie

Meghan said...

Gorgeous garden. I love how the man made structures tie in so effortlessly with the natural surrounds. I have been to the Museum of Anthropology and can see his style is definitley here too.

Kerry said...

Oh wow. So many places to sit and contemplate in that garden. Which in my opinion is exactly what they're for!

Jim said...

Wonderful imagery. Your photos make me want to visit this magical garden. I can't even begin to think about how it would feel to step out of the sliding glass doors and sit and watch the reflections bounce off of the little rectangular pool surrounded by moss and trees.

susan said...

Fantastic photos....

Mary Hudson said...

Wow Janis, that is the most amazing thing. Thank you for the info, that garden would be stunning to see in person, I'm sure.

lisaroyhandbags said...

wow - it looks like the most amazing secret garden! stunning photos xo

Amy - Pride of Place said...

Wow - so beautiful. I wish I knew more about gardening - I just know if I'm in one I like!

kate / tinywarbler said...

stunning! black swans? nureyev? i can't even imagine. how fantastic!

Jan | Poppytalk said...

wow, black swans and nureyev - wow. beautiful gardens.

mise said...

Janis, you won the giveaway over at my place! If you drop me your address sometime, I'll organize a nice package for you.

Sarah B said...

How beautiful! What wonderful stories too!

Kelley at My Island Wedding said...

what a great garden! im working on mine! (that lily of the valley??? just love it!)
-kelley

Pooch Purple Reign said...

wow, i imagined my backyard kinda like that one day *sigh*
your photos are intensely beautiful janis. it makes my heart ache with the beauty. i definitely resonate there :)
have a great weekend
~laura xx

c and d said...

black swans and dancing on a moss mound???? what i wouldn't give to have a time machine that turned me into someone cool enough to go back in time to have been invited.

shellie said...

beautiful....you gotta love a man that goes all out for parties....black swans and nureyev.all I have to say badass!

The Happy Hippy said...

Stunning photos - breathtaking colours. Thank you for sharing.