Monday, May 23, 2011

Baked


Hello Monday! Still lounging around for the long weekend. Love it.

I made some olive biscuits, as a snack to go with cocktails,  and they're both salty and sweet. I found this recipe via the internet a few years ago (I believe it was created by Jean-Pierre Autrand). Must admit, they are a bit different so I think it may be either a love or hate thing for most people. I happen to love them. If you try them out, let me know what you think!

Sweet & Salty Olive Biscuits - makes about 36 tiny biscuits/cookies

9 tablespoons of unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup icing sugar (I used only 1/2 cup to make them a little more salty than sweet!)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cured olives pitted and coarsely chopped (I used Kalamata olives, though the original recipe called for olives from Nyons. Didn't have those.)

With an electric mixer, cream the butter until it is light and fluffy. Mix in the sugar until blended, then drizzle in the olive oil and mix until combined. Add the flour and stir through until the dough is smooth. Add the olives and stir in until completely incorporated into the dough.


Place the dough on a piece of waxed or parchment paper, in the centre. Cover with another piece and then roll out the dough until it is about 1/4 inch thick.  The dough is very sticky, so using paper will make it possible to roll out. Refrigerate dough for at least 3o minutes up to over night.


You can use what ever biscuit/cookie cutter you like, but I used a tiny, round, crimped cutter. Cut out shapes and place on 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle a little course sea salt on tops. If you have dough left, roll flat again and place in refrigerator until ready to bake.


Bake in a 350F/180c oven for about 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.


These mini, paper thin, wood boats make a perfect size serving dish for these biscuits.  I picked up mine at Vancouver Special.



Again, if you make these let me know what you thought of them. I'd love to know!

Have a great day. Back soon.
janis

18 comments:

PinkPanthress said...

This looks like it takes some getting used to.
I am not sure if I could just eat that.

Which is more noticeable, the sugar or the olives?

Callie Grayson said...

OH, I think I would love them. Salty sweet, what is not to love!!
and with a cocktail even better!
xx
callie

Lady Grey said...

They sound very interesting... I bet I would love them!
xo

LinziCason said...

Wow! I love your work... it almost reminds me of the Julia, Julia film - do you know the one I mean? She wrote a food blog about cooking all the recipes of Julia Childs. You work has such a romantic feel to it though! x

lisaroyhandbags said...

These sound really interesting - I'll have to give them a try. I'm loving the wooden boats for serving - so cute! your pics are gorg! :)

dm designs said...

As you know, I LOVE your blog! Just passed along the Versatile Blogger Award to you :)
http://danimariedesigns.blogspot.com/2011/05/two-new-awards-thank-you.html

kate / tinywarbler said...

um, YUM! i would love to try these, they look so good. (and cute too!)
(i think i have that fabric too.....)

Pooch Purple Reign said...

maybe with a martini.... hmmm
~laura xx

Pinecone Camp said...

Laura, a martini, g&t, wine it all works ;)

DM, thanks so much! That was so sweet of you!

Kate, I have never seen so much fabric as I have at your home! Lucky girl you.

Linzi, I haven't seen that film but I think I should!

c and d said...

ok, i wouldn't normally be into this - but something other than nuts & pretzels to go with cocktails - I love it!! dev's been out of town and i am overdue for a few cocktails...

Vintage Home said...

oh Janis I saw on B&B that you are dropping by on Sat!...yeah!

christine, just bella said...

I'm totally intrigued. I'm definitely all about things that satisfy multiple cravings lately ;)

I love the boat dishes and the adorable napkins - your food always looks so amazing!

Pinecone Camp said...

Christine, in your "condition" these should satisfy any cravings you might have ;) I'm happy you like the napkins...I made them.

lyndsay said...

These little beauties look delicious!! Gorgeous photos as always... !

our little love nest said...

Oh my!! I want to try these! Those boat plates and napkins are so pretty together! Your photography always amazes me!! xo

Monica {bohemian twilight} said...

gthese sound gorgeous and the photos are perfect. i'm going to try them, sound like just my sort of thing.

Michelle said...

I tried the recipe! I'm a novice baker so it was a bit trial and error but ultimately they were delicious! Although not near as pretty as yours : ) I blogged about my experiment.

((((Beaupourlesyeux)))) said...

miam miam! I have to try this recipe!