Monday, May 9, 2011


Hope you all had a nice weekend. We had a vicious hail storm, here in Vancouver. Crazy. Does May hail bring nothing but sunshine for June?

I'm really into making bread these days. There's something very calming about kneading dough. It's a bit of a workout for my teeny forearms too!

Cracked Wheat and Hazlenut bread - makes 2 round loaves

1/2 cup cracked wheat
1/4 cup boiling water
2 packets active dry yeast
2 cups warm water
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 teaspoons salt
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 cup chopped hazelnuts

Egg glaze:
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon water

Pour boiling water over cracked wheat, in a small bowl, and let stand for a few minutes. Drain and press out excess water. Place warm water and honey in another bowl and sprinkle yeast on top. Let stand until mixture starts to foam, about 5 minutes.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, place the butter, salt, 2 cups of white flour and the yeast mixture. Beat until it's the consistency of cake batter, about 2 minutes. Gradually mix in the remaining flours, 1/2 cup at a time, and 1/4 cup of the soaked cracked wheat. Using a dough hook, mix for about 8 minutes, or knead dough by hand (which I did). Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, turn to coat ball, cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.

Punch down dough and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the hazelnuts, and gently knead into dough. Divide dough into two even pieces. Form into, approximately, two 8 inch discs, about 1 inch thick. Place on lightly greased baking sheets, and cover with greased plastic wrap. Let rise for another 45 minutes. Brush tops of loaves with the egg glaze, then sprinkle with remaining hazelnuts and cracked wheat. Bake in a 375f oven for about 30 minutes on the centre rack. Allow to cool on wire racks.

This is a really great tasting bread, and good for you too. If you try out this recipe, I'd love to know.

Back soon!


c and d said...

YUM. i love the baking process too...and the aroma that fills the home?? so good.

Lady Grey said...

That looks lovely. So lovely.
I wish I made time for baking my own bread - it's a soulful act indeed.
ps: I can't believe Vancouver had a hail storm!

Razmataz said...

Oh that looks amazing and with the apple, yum...I could eat it right now.

Vintage Home said...

I want to get Bob to make this !...Thanks for the recipe.

lisaroyhandbags said...

yum yum yum! I want to try this! I had to store my Kitchenaid though since the plugs are different in Dubai so I may not be making many breads in the near future (unless I want to work out my forearms too!) :)

silverpebble said...

That looks absolutely delicious. You have made my mouth water. I'm always a little nervous of baking bread but I should just get on with it!

GSA Furniture said...

This looks so amazing, I can't wait to give it a try. I know it will look nothing like yours, but hopefully taste at least half as good!

Muza-chan said...

Yummy... thank you for the recipe :)

Missing Goat said...

yum! I love the tea towel, and also, i have been meaning to say how bloody fetching you look in that photo you have posted.

Pooch Purple Reign said...

ah, looks awesome!! it is still WAY too chilly in PEI. heres hoping that brings all sunshine in june here too !!
~laura x

Dumbwit Tellher said...

I cannot describe to you how hungry this post has made me! Yummm...Tasty bread and a building arm muscles. I'm hoping for June sunshine for you. I spent most my life in the Pacific N.W. (No. of Seattle) & I know about cold, unpredictable Springs. Thanks for the great recipe and have a great rest of this week!