Monday, May 30, 2011

Baked


Hi everyone! For those of you enjoying a long weekend, I hope you've had a good one. To everyone else, just a big, old fashioned, happy Monday!

I made some really crispy, and pretty tasty, crackers. They are actually good for you too. Super easy to make but, the rolling out, I must admit, is pretty labourious. It's hard work rolling out to 1/8 inch! Keep in mind, it's good for the arms ;)

Walnut, Fig and Flax Crackers - makes about 48 2"x2" crackers

1/4 cup finely ground flaxseed (either grind your own, or buy flaxseed meal from a grocery shop)
1/4 cup whole flaxseed
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon brown sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
1/2 chopped dried mission figs (any fig would work)
1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 325F/160c. In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, flaxseed, salt and sugar. Add the butter and mix at medium speed with an electric mixer until the mixture looks like coarse bread crumbs (you could also use a food processor).
Fold in the walnuts, figs, and milk and mix until you have a smooth dough. I use my hands for this part.
Wrap dough in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.


Spilt dough in two, and roll out to 1/8 inch on a lightly floured surface. Cut with a pastry cutter, or knife, into squares. You can use cookie cutters to create any shape you like, really. Transfer shapes, using a thin spatula, to a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
Bake crackers until golden brown, about 20-25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.



I hope you try these crackers out. Again, they're super easy and, if I can make them anyone can!
Have a good day. Back soon!
janis

13 comments:

PinkPanthress said...

O...kay!?
Seems like Blogger just ate my comment... I think, I still can hear the munching sounds. :)
So once again...

These look gorgeous, and I really should try them out when I have the time to bake again.

tamara said...

These are the most beautiful crackers. You are so talented Janis! Love these. xx

Pooch Purple Reign said...

wow, you rock! these look fabulous
~laura xx

Pinecone Camp said...

Pink Panthress, thanks for you patience with Blogger! I just changed to a pop up comment window. Hope you can squeeze in some baking time!
Tamara, they are quite photogenic for a humble cracker. ;) Thanks!
Pooch n Pooch, my arms are still sore from rolling out the dough, but thanks!

Marianne {Style For Living} said...

Thank you for visiting my blog today. It led me to yours and I'm so happy to be your newest follower. I always love a good recipe! This looks delish!

Fabulously french said...

They look very yummy and your photos are tres belle.

I am going to have a go at making them...

A tres bientot,

Leeann x

Robe said...

Sooooooo delicious, especially with the caramelized onion & goat cheese. And such beautiful photos!!!

Mary Hudson said...

Delicious! I can picture them with a salty cheese. Next time I have the need I think I will definitely try them.

Renee (eatliveshop.com) said...

I never thought to make crackers before but these look and sound very yummy! I'll be adding this to my recipe book!

drollgirl said...

well these look SCRUMPTIOUS! nom nom!

and thank you for the compliment about my header! :)

shellie said...

oh my...i thinking the icing on the proverbial cake was the the onion and the goat cheese topping.

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

oh my god, yum!!! that last image just makes me so hungry. man i wish you were my neighbour (that is, if you wont adopt me!)

xx

24 Corners said...

You had me at fig! These look and sound amazing. I love fig jam and cheese sandwiched so I know these paired with cheese will be divine!
Thank you!
xo J~