Monday, October 3, 2011


I'm having the laziest of lazy days. My first full day off in quite some time, so I'm catching up on emails, and doing a little baking. How's your Monday going (or gone!)?

This cake is so good, and perfect for the rainy day we're having here in Vancouver. The combo of the spice cake, pears and walnuts is perfect. I'm thinking of making this for Thanksgiving next week. Hmmm.

Pear Upside Down Spice Cake - serves about 8

For topping (or bottom, depending on how you look at it):
1/4 cup cold unsalted butter, sliced in thin pieces
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 pears, cored and cut into thin slices
a handful of walnut halves

For spice cake:
2 3/4 cup whole spelt flour (you can use all purpose flour if you like!)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2/3 cup molasses
1/3 cup whole milk
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce

To make the topping: Lightly spray a 9" cake pan with cooking spray. Layer bottom of pan with the 1/4 cup cold butter slices, then sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon over top. Add the layer of pear slices and walnuts. 

To make the spice cake: Preheat oven to 350f. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice. In another bowl, beat the 1/2 cup softened butter, brown sugar, eggs, molasses, applesauce, and milk until well blended. Add flour mixture, a little at a time, into liquid mixture until well blended. Pour cake mixture over layered pears and walnuts, spreading out batter evenly. Bake for 20 minutes at 350f, then lower oven to 325f and bake for another 25 minutes, or until a skewer, inserted in centre of cake, comes out clean. Allow to cool for 30 minutes, before turning out onto a cake plate. Enjoy!!

That's it for today! Back soon.


kickpleat said...

That looks gorgeous! I'm not one to love pears so I might have to sub in apples instead. Perfect flavours for fall. Yum!

Nat @ dear little house said...

This not only looks stunning but it sounds absolutely delicious! What a great cake to serve at Thanksgiving (or any other celebration, really!). Talking about Thanksgiving brings back memories of the time I spent in Vancouver, my one and only Thanksgiving :)

Rosa @ flutterflutter said...

Um, yum! I'll let you know how this works out with gluten free flour!

Callie Grayson said...

Day has gone ok! but I am feeling a bit blue :(
But tomorrow is another day, and all will be right with the world!

that cake looks delish!

emilie said...

This isn't like me but I actually notice how pretty this cake was before I thought about devouring it! But it only lasted a few seconds. What a great looking cake!


Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Monday was good thank you! Hope you enjoyed your time off and baking (looks good for sure!).

Allison Egan said...

Looks so yummy! I love pears and this is perfect for fall. Great recipe for the holidays!

xo Allison
Spicer + Bank

lisaroyhandbags said...

Yum! I love spice cake at this time of year and I will definitely be trying this one! Glad you're getting a bit of downtime :)

LissyLou said...


looks and sounds great x

Mary Hudson said...

This looks delicious! I do love this season.

Nathalie Van Volsom said...

Ce gateau au fruit de l'automne à l'air si bon ......
have a nice day...

Kitty M said...

Perfect recipe for the autumn Janis - I'd love to try this. I made strawberry buttermilk pancakes this morning with some REAL Maple syrup all the way from Canada - I was so excited! You are very lucky havig it close on hand! x

DREAMS ON 34th STREET ~ French Bread & Family said...

Perfect! I'll bake it for my son in law's birthday!
Thank you!

tinyparticlesoflight said...

Just made your cake for my parents visiting us for the day and it was a BIG hit! I made a non-dairy version with earth balance butter sticks and whole coconut milk - delish!!