Monday, October 31, 2011

Baked



Happy Halloween everyone! Hope you're having a good Monday. 

As I mentioned in my last post, I was inspired by all things Mexican on our recent little trip to California, so I've baked some Mexican brownies. They have a hit of cayenne, and are moist and delicious. 

Mexican Brownies - makes one 8" square pan (about 9 slices)

1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup almond meal
2 large eggs, each egg beaten separately
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper


Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Butter and flour an 8 inch square pan, knocking out excess flour. 
In a saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly until melted and smooth. Remove pan from heat, and allow to cool for about 15 minutes. 


Once cooled, pour melted chocolate into a medium size bowl, add sugar and almond meal and combine. Add beaten eggs, one at a time, and beat well with a wooden spoon until batter is smooth and glossy. Stir in flour, cayenne, cinnamon and salt until just combined. Do not over mix. Spread batter evenly in pan and bake for 23-25 minutes or until a skewer, inserted in centre, comes out with crumbs attached. Cool brownies completely in pan before cutting.  



Chocolate glaze:
1 cup icing sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 1/2 tablespoons milk


To make glaze:
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl, and whisk until smooth and glossy. Spoon onto brownies, and enjoy!


Bye for now! Have a spooky night. 
Janis





13 comments:

Inspire Me Heather said...

Oh how yummy!!! You make those look so delish!

mise said...

They look lovely, Janis, and I'm sitting here trying to think of the name of those lovely little woven things I used to make as a child, and have forgotten till now. Can you help? I want to show my daughters how to make them and would like to remember what they are called!

Marisa Midori said...

Oh wow, these look luscious!

MissLemonie said...

This recipe looks great - I've been looking for a brownie with a kick.

I always enjoy your pix ~ and I wish I lived in Vancouver... somewhere around 1241 Homer to be exact. But alas, the prairies are home.

Love your blog!

hardydanielle said...

mmm so yummy!! Brownies are my favorite- looks like a must try :)

c and d said...

oh my those look divine...and those cute little god's eyes! beautiful colours.

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

OK, it's official, there needs to be a Baked cookbook ASAP!

the southern hostess said...

Wow! These look so good.

lisaroyhandbags said...

mmm.... brownies! I'm intrigued by the cayenne :)

Pooch Purple Reign said...

i was baked this monday too :)
recovery mode from the move not the brownies hehe
they do look awesome
~laura xx

Pinecone Camp said...

Mise, they're called God's Eyes. I love making them...it's very calming ;) Your girls will love making them too!

Miss Lemonie, what's the exact address? Curious now!

Will, one day...one day ;)

Laura, moving does tend to "bake" me too.

lyndsay said...

janis -

so delicious looking! dripping chocolate! love the sound of the almond meal and the hit of cayenne pepper - will have to try!

LITTLE CHIEF said...

oh my roommate and i made these all the time last year! not too heavy or sweet, yet undeniably satisfying. great recipe and photos!