Monday, November 7, 2011

Baked


Hope your Monday has been a good one! It's a very dreary, rainy, day here in Vancouver, which is fine with me. Lots of photo editing to do, so it keeps me inside glued to my computer.

I baked a really easy almond cake over the weekend. So flipping good. It's great on it's own, but adding baked orange slices makes it even better. Next time, I might make the oranges boozy. ;)

Almond Cake with Baked Oranges - makes one round 8 inch cake




1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup almond meal
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup all-purpose flour

To make cake: Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Lightly butter and flour cake tin, and knock remaining flour.
With a mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the almond meal, almond extract, eggs and flour and beat until well combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared cake tin, place in oven and bake for about 35 minutes, or until cake is just coming away from edge of pan. Allow to cool in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.




Baked Oranges

3 large oranges, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
remaining juice squeezed from peel


To make baked oranges: Peel and slice oranges, then arrange in an oven proof pan or baking dish.



Squeeze remaining juice from peel, and drizzle over top of sliced oranges. Sprinkle brown sugar over top. Place pan under the broiler and cook until they start to bubble and colour, about 10 minutes. Keep an eye on them so they don't burn. Place a couple of slices, along with a little juice, on top of each slice of cake. Enjoy!!


That's it for today! Back soon.
Janis

12 comments:

Jan | Poppytalk said...

looks delish! i'm fine too with this weather. good thing!

Edins House said...

I've always loved almond cakes but the addition of baked oranges just makes my mouth water!
Victoria

Razmataz said...

This looks amazing...my neighbor has an orange tree and they hang over my yard...If I take her some cake maybe she will forgive me for stealing the oranges to bake it...

Love the new header.

Marisa Midori said...

Mmm I love almond anything. Will have to make this soon!

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Janis. you always make me soooo hungry! ;) P.S. London very drizzly and grey, too.

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

that does look flipping good - and easy! looks like even i could make it : O

xxx

tinyparticlesoflight said...

As soon as we polish off all the cornbread I just made, this almond cake is up next!

xo
cortnie

Brillante Interiors said...

I just discovered this blog when I was searching for your website, since I have seen your beautiful images for Provide and The Cross.
Glad to have found you.

lyndsay said...

beautiful, janis!! this weather totally makes me feel like warming the house with baking-in-the-oven-power!

PS your wooden pie/cake server utensil is very cute!!

keishua said...

this looks lovely. I will have to check out the almond cake recipe soon.

Casa Mia said...

Wow, I will need to try this recipe soon. Love your blog

Koplax said...

This site is one of the best I have found :

=> Home Insurance Rates <=