Monday, August 8, 2011

Baked


Well, it's the start of the week and so far so good. How's your Monday?

I made some Plum Cobbler over the weekend, and tried using spelt flour (I had run out of all-purpose flour) this time. It turned out great, and I know it's just a wee bit better for you too.


Plum Cobbler - serves 6 to 9


7 cups sliced, pitted plums
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
pinch of cinnamon

Biscuit Topping:
1 cup spelt flour or all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1/4 cup cold butter
2 teaspoons orange rind
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 400f/200c. Gently toss plums, sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon, in a large bowl. Pour into an 8x8 inch glass baking dish.


In another bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender, or 2 knives, until the mixture is crumbly. Mix together buttermilk, orange rind and vanilla then drizzle over flour mixture. Stir with a fork to form a soft, sticky dough. Drop dough, with a spoon, in 9 evenly spaced mounds over fruit.



Bake for about 30-35 minutes, until topping is light golden and cooked through.


This cobbler is super easy and quick to make. Not too bad for you either! ;)


Let me know if you try out this recipe, and if you use spelt or kamut flour instead of all-purpose flour.

Back soon!
janis

13 comments:

Razmataz said...

I am going to make this for my mum next time she is here for dinner. Dessert is a big deal for her since the nursing home serves gruel. She is going to love this.

Sonja said...

Oooh I love spelt flour! I would totally try this with your version, it looks soooo good! And your photos are gorgeous as usual

Pen and Paperie said...

monday has rendered me too braindead to read the recipe but the photos say it all. yum.

lisaroyhandbags said...

Cobblers and crisps have always been my favourite type of dessert in the summer - so easy but always so yummy! I've never tried plum so it's next on my cobbler list xo

PinkPanthress said...

Looks great... though I have never tried something sweet made with spelt flour.

Thank you for this healthy option, I need to try it out! :)

mise said...

It looks great, and I even have plums. The spelt craze has been piling us around me and making me feel left out, so this is just what I need to join the rollercoaster ride, thanks!

briannelee said...

Yum! Plums are my favorite summer fruit. I definitely need to try this recipe.

katie [the bright life] said...

This looks delicious! My parents are visiting soon and I'd love to make this when they're here...it's a perfect summer dessert. Thanks for sharing! Xo, Katie

Wahy said...

oh, it looks really good!

Jan | Poppytalk said...

great idea for all those plums out there! yjm!

jessica said...

i love plums!! definitely have to try this one!!
plus, your photos always make the recipes look super delish!!

le@thirdontheright said...

holey moley this looks divine :) thanks yet again for sharing your inspiring recipes and images - best le xox

elisa rathje said...

adding it to my extremely long list of things you've made that i want to eat!! spelt flour most definitely. x