Monday, August 22, 2011

Baked


Did you have a good weekend? Hope so. Right now, I'm sitting in the wine country region of British Columbia. Such a beautiful (and delicious!) part of the province.

I baked some of these tasty crackers for a bit of a "potluck" picnic, and brought some on our road trip. They are beyond addictive. Please try these ones out, and let me know what you think!

Peppercorn & Parmesan Cornmeal Crackers - makes, well, a lot. I ended up with about 100 mini crackers.




3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons packed golden brown sugar
4 teaspoons dried peppercorns (I used a mix), coarsely crushed and divided
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, chopped into small cubes
2/3 cup well shaken buttermilk
1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon course sea salt
1 large egg, beaten


In a bowl, whisk together the flours, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, 2 teaspoons peppercorns, and table salt. Blend in butter, using a pastry cutter or your fingertips, until mixture resembles coarse meal.  Add buttermilk and stir just until a dough forms. Gently knead dough, about 6 times, on a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in two, flatten slightly, and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill in refrigerator for 10 minutes.


Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Mix coarse sea salt and remaining peppercorns in a small bowl.  Roll out one half of dough, on a floured surface, to about 1/8 inch thick. Cut out whatever shapes you like (I used hearts, stars, and circles about 1" in size), and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Brush each cracker with egg and sprinkle the salt and peppercorn mix on each. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and crisp. Repeat with remaining dough. Cool completely on a wire rack. Try not to eat them all immediately!


I mentioned that I took some to a picnic, and the following pics are how I "packaged" them....



That's it for now. Have a lovely Monday! 

Back soon!
Janis

12 comments:

the southern hostess said...

I'm quite certain I wouldn't be able to stop eating these. They look so yummy!

kickpleat said...

I have yet to make some savoury crackers!! These look delicious and I love the little shapes you made. Cute!

elisa rathje said...

i adore the shapes too. they would disappear in moments around here. but i wonder what i could substitute for cornmeal? great package, i've just been reading about how people used to carry food around xx

Marianne {Style For Living} said...

I'd probably eat the entire batch myself! Looks yummy!

Megan said...

We're having friends over for luncheon on Saturday - I'm so making these!! I can't wait to show them off.

lisaroyhandbags said...

These sound very addictive! Love your packaging :)
Sounds like you're in a very dreamy place right about now - you can never sip too much wine! {well, maybe..}

ballet news said...

I LOVE everything !!! Who takes your photos, by the way, and what sort of camera > They are amazingly atmospheric.

our little love nest said...

YUM! Your photography is killer and now I have a hankering to make these. (we just started our diet/ workout...hoping I don't overdo it;)

Pinecone Camp said...

Elisa, not sure what you could use in place of cornmeal. I want to try them using less butter next time too!
Kickpleat, you're a great cook/baker, I'm sure these would be an extra breeze for you to make!
Megan, good luck - you'll love them ;)
Ballet News, I'm happy you like what you see...and I take all the pics, fyi.
Good luck with your diet, Our Little Love Nest! I don't think these are toooo bad. ;)

PinkPanthress said...

Hm, hmm... looking so good!
And love the way you packaged them.

If I look at them with only one eye, does that cut half the calories off of your recipes. ;)

OnePerfectDay said...

They sound divine and they look irresistable!

Sweet Athena said...

Yum! I will have to make these this weekend for my trip to the beach!