Monday, August 29, 2011

Baked


I hope you all had great weekend! How's your Monday going?

Played around with different pizzas over the weekend, so I thought I'd share my favourite with you. We brought back heaps of fresh corn from our trip, and I wanted to make sure it all got used. Tastes flipping great on this pizza! To be honest, I hadn't heard of Appenzeller cheese (from Switzerland) until the guys at Benton Brothers Fine Cheese, recommended it. It. Is. Good.

Appenzeller Cheese,  Corn and Tomato Pizza - makes two 12 inch pizzas

Pizza Crust:
2/3 cup warm water (about 45c/115f)
1 8g packet active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus a little extra for oiling bowl
1 3/4 cups to 2 cups whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
1/4 cup finely ground cornmeal
1 teaspoon coarse salt


Garlic spread:
1 bulb garlic
1 tablespoon fresh oregano
2 tablespoons olive oil

Topping:
3/4 cup fresh corn (about 1 cob)
3 roma tomatoes, sliced
1 cup Appenzeller cheese (or whichever cheese you prefer!), grated
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, shredded


To make pizza dough:
In a large bowl, stir together 1/3 cup warm water, yeast and sugar. Let stand for about 10 minutes, or until mixture turns foamy. Stir in remaining 1/3 cup water, 2 tablespoons oil, 1 3/4 cups flour, cornmeal and salt and blend until mixture forms a dough. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface, adding up to the remaining 1/4 cup of flour if dough is too sticky, until smooth and elastic 5-8 minutes.
Place dough in a deep bowl, turning to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm spot for about 1 hour, or until doubled in size. Punch down dough, and cut in half to form two thin 12 inch pizza crusts. I rolled my dough out a little, then stretched it out when on the pan.

To make garlic spread:
Cut top off garlic bulb, then place oregano leaves on top, sprinkle a little olive oil over top, then wrap bulb in foil. Bake in a 350f/180c oven for about 40 minutes. Let cool, then squeeze out garlic into a small bowl, add 2 tablespoons olive oil and mash with a fork.



To assemble pizza:
Spread garlic mixture all over pizza dough. Sprinkle corn over top, then tomato slices, then cheese. Bake in a 400f/200c oven for 15-20 minutes, or until crust is a light golden colour and cheese is melted.



The great thing about making pizza, is that you can add anything you like for toppings. A perfect meal. Enjoy!

One more thing. If you have some time, pop over to Poppytalk!  I did a road trip post there today. I posted heaps of pics from our trip. I do feel like a bit of a homer, but I really do think BC is a beautiful place!


That's it for today. Back soon!
janis




17 comments:

the southern hostess said...

That garlic spread sounds impressive! And I'll have to look for that cheese! Yum all around.

shellie said...

yummmy of course! i have been too lazy and hot to cook.

mel said...

Amazing Janis. My stomach did a little skip and jump when I saw the roasted garlic sauce. Mmmmmm. Is 10pm too late to start making this?

Callie Grayson said...

This looks so good!! Pizza one of my favorite things to eat.
xx
callie

Marianne {Style For Living} said...

Pizza is a weakness of mine! This one looks really good and I'm going to have to give this recipe a try!

PinkPanthress said...

Appenzeller, one of the tastiest cheeses ever... ;)

We still have some of it from the last cheese-foundue 'gathering' we had, so this recipe should be easy.

elisa rathje said...

oh. my goodness! i've been craving pizza and we'd been talking about reinstating our weekly homemade pizza night. now if i can pull one off with homemade mozzarella i will be very proud! maybe soon xx

Sal said...

I always put a little Appenzeller in my cheese fondue - yum.
Love the idea of it on pizza and really love your blog!

monster cakes said...

My favorite thing to do is invite friends over and each make individual pizzas from scratch. So fun and better than eating out! Thanks for the recipe.

lisaroyhandbags said...

yum yum yum!
I've never tried corn on pizza, although it seems to be a very common thing in Ireland (they put corn in their tuna sandwiches too).
This has me thinking of all the yummy pizzas we ate in Italy. I'll have to give this a try :)

Amy - Thank You Cards Shop said...

this looks delicious. you're inspiring me to cook here (something i don't do, but really should start)!

tamara said...

Mmmmmmmm looks dee-lish. You have inspired me to make pizza for my kids.

Monique said...

Wow, that pizza looks so yummy. It's been a while since I stopped by and boy are your photos lovely. I'm planning to make pizzas for my husband's birthday and cut them up in bites to serve as finger food. Great recipe.

Carola said...

Until this moment I was thinking in a glass of milk and a sandwiche for dinner... that seems so boring now!
I love your picts. Its so nice to be back here
kiss!


Carola

Christiane said...

Wow - I love that last picture, will head over to Poppytalk now to find out more.
Thanks for your lovely comment on my work at my blog!

B.B.A.'s World said...

Hello, my name is Bogdan from Romania. You have a wonderful site. I would likeif we exchange links / banners. Thank you!
My website address is: http://descopera-travel.blogspot.com/
E-mail: bogdan_burca@yahoo.com
If you want to do link exchange, banners leave your comments on my blog! a good day!
Can you give me one like the : http://www.facebook.com/pages/Descopera-lumea-inconjuratoare/174468635958737
Please give one like , thanks!!!

Lisa said...

Those pizzas were one of the most delightful treats I've had in a long time . . . so fresh and so delicious!