Monday, August 15, 2011

Baked



Did you have a nice weekend? Hope so!

I baked a batch of these Chocolate Caramel Cookies over the weekend. They're not the prettiest cookie out there, but they taste pretty great. I've been baking slightly healthier treats lately, but sometimes you just need heaps of chocolate. I did make them with whole wheat and spelt flour though ;)

Chocolate Caramel Cookies - makes about 24


4 oz dark chocolate, chopped (about a 100 g bar)
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat flour*
1 cup whole spelt flour*
* you can use 2 cups all purpose flour in place of the whole wheat and spelt. I was trying to feel less guilty. Yeah, right.)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large Caramilk bars, chilled

Melt the dark chocolate in a heat proof bowl, over a pot of almost boiling water, stirring occasionally. Let cool. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in the vanilla, then melted chocolate.



In another bowl, whisk flours, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir into butter mixture until combined. Cover dough, and refrigerate until firm enough to shape, about 30 minutes.



Break each caramilk bar into separate squares/pieces. Roll heaping tablespoons of dough into balls, then flatten and place one square of chocolate in the centre. Wrap and seal dough around chocolate and place, seam down, on parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake in centre of oven, at 375f, for 10 minutes, or until edges are firm and centres are still soft. Let cool on pan for a couple of minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!!



Now, about that give away for "About A Village", by Eamonn McCabe.


The winner is....
#20 - Marianne at Style For Living! Congratulations!




14 comments:

Jan | Poppytalk said...

yum! love the red and dark brown together - great styling!

Marianne {Style For Living} said...

So excited I won! I just emailed my address to you. Thank you so much! xo

ThisTinder said...

I love your baking photos! So enticing!

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

i'm so glad to be back online and in the land of the blogging. Have missed your images janis! The weekend looks super cool ,and those cookies...YUUUUU-UUUUMMMMM! x

PinkPanthress said...

Oh, the last image looks so heavenly. C:

And congrats to the Winner!

theolivetree said...

i need these cookies!

kate / tinywarbler said...

whoa, those look so good! i'm going to be thinking about these now......
that book looks great! sorry i missed the giveaway..

Fabiana ~ Ciao Newport Beach said...

Wow! Marianne, congrats! Those cookies look soooo good. I've gotta make those...

I'm now following you. Stop by my blog too, if you get a chance!

ciao

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

i was SO HAPPY to see you today, my friend

you have been missed !!!

the cookies look great
chocolate and caramel
YUM !!!!


kary and teddy
xx

Erin said...

YUM!!! I've been all about fruit-filled desserts lately given the time of year, but you're right, sometimes it's definitely all about the heaps of chocolate!

Lily from Birch + Bird said...

Are you kidding me? Those look way too good! Can't wait to see you tomorrow night :)

justine | lovemaki said...

wow! these look amazing!
never had cookies with caramel inside. yum:P

Anonymous said...

Why are there asterisks beside the flour ingredients? I'm thinking I'm missing something. I don't want to try the recipe yet...

Thanks :)

Pinecone Camp said...

Hi Anonymous. I've mentioned right under those ingredients, that you can use 2 cups regular all purpose flour instead of the one cup whole wheat and one cup spelt flours.
I was trying to use less white flour, to see how they'd turn out and they tasted great.
thanks!