Monday, September 14, 2009

Cute Cow and a Time Tunnel


It's been a very busy day here in sunny Castlegar.  Jose and I were up before dawn to shoot a beautiful garden for Canadian Gardening.  The homeowners, Caroline and Darcy, have cattle as well. At first, I thought this cow was very cute until he started to pee with wild abandon.  I thought a hose was left running. Really. This was at 7am, on an empty stomach.  Probably a good thing, when I think about it.
   
Caroline, told us that they never buy any meat as they basically eat their cows. Fair enough. I eat fish, but I no longer eat mammals or birds,  just not my thing these days. So when she was describing how a cow ends up in their freezer, I had a vivid picture of it in my head and still do. One day a cow is wandering around, chewing cud (is that the word), the next day he's in their freezer. It all takes place on their property. I won't share anymore details. Why am I so thrown off by this? How did I imagine hamburgers were created? I've now forgiven the cow for his rather crass behaviour. 

After all of that, we drove to Nelson.  It was like stepping into a time tunnel. It's a beautiful town.  I especially loved the West Arm Bridge, and the retro Dairy Queen. Very "Happy Days". Jose kindly waited for me while I pulled out my old Kodak duaflex and other assorted lens, on the side of the road.  

Now, must go find dinner and, possibly, a dairy queen.
  
West Arm Bridge built 1957
A fabulous Dairy Queen built in the 50's

7 comments:

Robe said...

Oh My $%#@ing God! I love these images! That DQ is brilliant.
Poor cow. Judging from your story, I'd be piss-scared too!

Heather Cameron said...

I love Nelson - we need to go there and spend some time. I found the best cafe to hang out in. Plus, I want to see the home that Roxanne was filmed in.

Pinecone Camp said...

Thanks Robe. Have heaps more where those came from!

Heather, there are so many cafes there. Coffee heaven. Good coffee too and, thankfully, no "chain" cafes. Yippee! Tried to work out where Roxanne was filmed...no luck.

kitty said...

Did they have 'Jets' at the DQ? Since it is such a retro one, one can only hope! Do you guys recall those-- the soft fudgey things that squished out of a tube? they were much more delicious than that description sounds like!!

Courtney said...

I haven't been to a Dairy Queen in such a long time - especially one that looks like that! Nelson seems like such a charming town. I can't eat meat, but the smell of nice leather makes me giddy. And then I get sad because I remember how cute cows are.

Pinecone Camp said...

Nelson really is a charming little place, Courtney. So picturesque!

Kitty, Jets were the best...I didn't actually check out this retro DQ's menu.

Pinecone Camp said...
This comment has been removed by the author.