Sunday, September 20, 2009

Weekend in Vancouver


It's been a happy weekend. Lots of sunshine, lovely design, photography, coffee and Prosecco.

Checked out the IDSwest show. Lots of great design. I've included a couple of images of the Cross Design Media Lounge, House and Home event. Lynda Reeves, the publisher, was there along with Mark Challen, v.p. of communications. I shoot for that magazine often, in fact the November issue will feature Darci's (The Cross) home, festooned with Christmas decor. Looking forward to seeing how it all came together.

I also had a chance to catch up with Janette Ewen, from Cityline, and Danny Sinopoli from Globe and Mail.  I started working with Janette and Danny when they were both with House and Home.  So nice to see them in my town.
  
One last mention... I'm deeply intrigued by the upcoming exhibit at the Vancouver Museum. How could you resist a show called "Ravishing Beasts", the strangely alluring world of taxidermy? I can't. I love the story of "Lucky" the dog (picture below). His owner loved him so much, that he had him stuffed when he died. He couldn't take him to the old age home, so he donated him. Awww.
 
For all of you that live in Vancouver, check out the Museum some time.  It really is a beautiful building too.   

I'll be working on a few more images to put up on Etsy, later this week.  Keep you posted.  

9 comments:

Robe said...

What a lucky dog ; )

Courtney said...

Taxidermy is a kind of strange world. I'm not going to lie, I'm a little creeped out by it!

Pinecone Camp said...

It is creepy, Courtney, but kind of intriguing at the same time. An entirely different world. I can't have imagined having our dog, Plugger, stuffed - nightmares forever, if we did! Eeeek.

jan said...

Ha! I saw that preview at IDSwest as well, and am also intrigued. I grew up surrounded by lots of taxidermy, so I sort of have a fondness for that white owl that was there. Family pets? Maybe a little nightmarish however.

Love that top photo Janis of the totem poles! LOVE!

Pinecone Camp said...

Thanks Jan! I've been working on a series of totems and other BC vintage memories. I'll show you more soon.
As for taxidermy, I'm sure you've seen the family run shop on Kingsway. wow.

kate / tinywarbler said...

oh yes, i'll have to see that show. it brings to mind two words: norman bates.
sounds like you had a fun weekend!

Robe said...

Huge fan of taxidermy, just not of doing it with dead animals... or humans for that matter!!!
The light fixture I made for Habit Lounge is taxidermied (is taxidermied a word), but using paper rather than pelt.

jan said...

Oh I look forward to it!

Yes, I have driven by that shop many times, and have been wanting to go in, but in a way, sort of scared to...

scott davidson said...

What an interesting blog, introduced by a thought-provoking photo. The unusual wall painting of the dwellings is also a strangely modern interpretation. Something like this hieroglyphic view of a park by Swiss painter Paul Klee, http://EN.WahooArt.com/A55A04/w.nsf/OPRA/BRUE-8LT475.
The image can be seen at wahooart.com who can supply you with a canvas print of it.