Monday, September 6, 2010

Baked on Monday - Blondies


Happy Labour Day to you lovely bloggers in Canada and the U.S. It's a rainy day here in Vancouver, so it's perfect for staying indoors baking, eating and watching "Bell Book and Candle" (though I really should be working).

Today's treat is a good old fashioned Blondie. Perfect with coffee, which we'll drink lots of today.

Blondies - makes one 8"x8" pan (about 16 squares)

1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chocolate pieces (optional, but why would you not opt for chocolate?)



Preheat oven to 350f/180c. Grease an 8x8 baking pan.

In a large bowl, cream softened butter with an electric mixer, or wooden spoon, then beat in the brown sugar. Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until fluffy.

Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir the flour mixture into the creamed mixture, then stir in walnuts. Spread the batter in the greased pan. Sprinkle the chocolate bits (if you opted for chocolate, but again, why wouldn't you?), evenly over the dough and press down slightly with a spatula.


Bake the blondies in the centre of the oven for about 25 minutes, or until they have started to pull, very slightly, away from the edges of the pan. Cool in the pan, on a wire rack, before devouring.


These will keep, at room temperature, for several days or several weeks in the refrigerator. But they probably won't be around for that long ;)



Have a lovely day! Back again soon.

28 comments:

the chirpy bird said...

Oh my goodness! yes please! I'd absolutely love one of those right now! Hope you're having a fabulous weekend!
xo tash

Melissa Blake said...

those look absolutely delicious!!

Kerry said...

I've never heard of these...they look delicious. And your photos...as always...so beautiful. You are such a talent:)

Lady Grey said...

What a perfect treat for a blistery day like today : )

Callie Grayson said...

mmm. these would be perfect with a cup of tea, sitting by the window reading.
xx
callie

Vintage Home said...

...wow I must say ...those cups & saucers would make me swoon!...then I would just get up and eat some of your blondies!

koralee said...

Blondies make me very happy...and yours look amazing..I have been trying to be soooo good but it is not working...my daughter loves to bake and I love to eat!!! I am with Colleen...I adore your cups and saucers. xoxoxo

sunday collector said...

Your photos are just too beautiful!

Justine and Rachel said...

Those teacups are sooo pretty. And the blondies look pretty good too.

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

These look fab. I made some white chocolate and blueberry bites the other day - they looked quite similar to these!

The Zhush said...

Oh yum! My favorites! Would never last more than two days tops in my house! :)

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Anything chocolaty is divine. These look delicious!
Have a happy Tuesday xxooxx

Courtney said...

My mouth is watering. I agree - who wouldn't opt for chocolate? Your floral napkin is so lovely, by the way! It reminds me of an old table cloth I stole from my grandmother's attic.

A Thrifty Mrs said...

I'll have 37 of those please.

leslie said...

Hello Janis, You take wonderful photographs -your baking has my mouth watering as these blondies would go well with the coffee I am downing right now! I look forward to visiting back here! Even though it rains in Vancouver you are really lucky to live there -I miss it!!!
Leslie

Jenn @ Living Luxe for Less said...

Mmmm, these look so good. I love blondies! I am going to try this recipe soon...they look delicious!

the southern hostess said...

I'm a sucker for blondies. These look divine! Love the photos.

lisaroyhandbags said...

mmm I love blondies! perfect with a cup of coffee or cocoa.... :)

Candy and Cake said...

Yum! I've never made these before. I will have to give these a try! Hope you had a great labor day!

Kristen said...

Oh, yum! Raining here in Dallas. Wish I could be at home baking :(

MaryWig said...

Such a baked-fresh lookin' blog! Love the subject matter, great photos, clean design. See you in BYW class!

Pooch Morning Glory said...

gee i hope i have more time to bake in the fall.
these do look great. and i like your stack of cups photo
have a good weekend
~laura

Heartfire At Home said...

Hi Janis!!! Thanks for stopping by my blog... so great to connect with another byw participant!

Love that recipe above, very yummy looking and sounding.

I've been to Kyenton many a time... it's about an hour and a quarter from me. It seems like a lovely place to live - hope your mum and dad love it!

I've always wanted to visit Canada, the people have the reputation of being extremely friendly! And, the weather in Ballarat maybe isn't that far from the weather over there (seems cold enough here in Winter anyway - lol).

So nice to *meet* you. :)

Linda. xo

lottie frank said...

hello, fellow BYW student,
I love your blog, it makes a great read..I look forward to following you...enjoy the course and your etsy shop is lovely, i too have a collection of Kokeshi dolls and love the pics you have taken of them x x x

Jaclyn said...

yeah for blondies and for fellow BYW students. love the blog! x

The Shutter said...

Yay for BYW! Your blog is awesome and I love your photography. Thanks for dropping by mine. I'll be sure to follow you.

jackie kersh said...

i wish you could send me some of those yum blondies instantly via cyberspace. they look so good and would be perfect right about now~!

swell.life said...

mmm...delish! so glad to have discovered your lovely blog.