Thursday, September 16, 2010

Origami Paper Boxes

March 5th 2013 
Hello! It's a couple of years since I posted this, but I will be updating the directions very soon. Perhaps with a video of sorts. My apologies to those who have found my directions confusing. I'm slowly learning how to be a better "instructor". I promise to make it a little more clear for early next week.
Thanks for your patience!
janis
x

I needed to make paper boxes for a party I'll be going to, so I thought I'd share the process with you. They are super easy to make, and are perfect for that little gift that needs just the right size box.

You'll need the following materials to make a 7cm box:
Heavy weight paper (I'm using bits of paper that I have languishing in a drawer)
pencil
ruler
exacto knife
bone folder
white glue or a glue stick

a) Cut a 20cm square for the base and a 14.5cm square for the lid.

b) With a pencil, lightly mark the diagonals of the squares, on the wrong side of the paper. This is the guide for the first folds.

c) Fold corners into the centre of square using the pencil marks as a guide. Crease the folds with a bone folder.


d) For the base, fold two opposite sides to meet in the middle. These folds should measure 3.5cm. Crease and unfold, then repeat this for the remaining two sides.

e) To make the lid, fold two opposite sides - the folds should measure 1.4cm each. Crease, unfold then repeat process for the two remaining sides.





f) There will be a small square formed, by the folds, on each corner of the base and lid. Fold a diagonal crease across each square with the point facing inwards. Repeat on remaining corners on both lid and base.


g) Unfold two opposite sides on both the base and the lid. Refold other sides so they stand up straight. Pull up a third flap and tuck the small creases underneath. Repeat on the remaining side. Glue down the 4 points in the centre of both the lid and base. You may also wish to cut out a small piece of a contrasting paper, to line the bottom of the box. Voila! You have an origami paper box.



That's it for now! Have a lovely day.

37 comments:

Robe said...

Too damn cute!!!!

the chirpy bird said...

naawww I love this! perfect for the upcoming holidays too!
xo tash

sarah, flourish design + style said...

You're amazing.. those are the sweetest little things I have ever seen! xx

Jaclyn said...

such a great gift idea for all the paper scraps I have around!

The Zhush said...

How sweet! I love this idea as a craft project for my girls!

Gigi said...

I love these! I'm going to make them for holding little Christmas gifts for my nieces this year. Thanks for the wonderfully detailed instructions! xo Gigi

christine, just bella said...

How sweet - I'd love to get a gift wrapped up in such a pretty box. Heck, I'd just like the box!

Sandy said...

I love this box idea. I think I'll have to try making them and see what I can do about getting some little trinkets to put in them! Great idea. :)

jonahliza said...

you are awesome! thanks for the tutorial. the paper bits you used are perfect.

Green Been Food said...

the paper is gorgeous and i love little boxes!

LINDA from OEKE said...

Hi Janis. I saw your comment re: the Cats/Saints. Hmmm .. interesting. I don't think the Cats will win .. and as my boys LOVE to sing 'oh when the saints', I promise to support them should they make it. Hope your hubby is excited!!!

Romantiska Hem said...

Nice blog you got here! Hugs from Petra

shari @ little blue deer said...

These are lovely! I am always saving boxes to reuse for gifts, I should make my own, thanks for the inspiration! XX!

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

they're so cool. i should get my sons onto these. they did origami in art class - there are so many bunnies, swans and cranes floating around this house (of varying degrees of recognition :) - would be good to have some of these instead!

kate / tinywarbler said...

what sweet little boxes, the colors are so pretty too!

Mon Alisa Design said...

They're so lovely! Thankyou for sharing. You're blog is wonderful! x

mise said...

That's ever so ingenious and pretty!

Leslie said...

Oh these are gorgeous lille boxes Janis! And your bread in the last post has me feeling hungry -I am going back over that recipe!!!
Hope you weekend is sunny (wishful thinking?)

kitty said...

Wow those are beautiful Janis! I always send your link to my pals who I know will love what you're doing - oh to be so creative! xo

the southern hostess said...

I'm so impressed! These are great.

lisaroyhandbags said...

these are so adorable! they'll be perfect for some little stocking stuff gifts for xmas! the paper is really cute - thanks for the how-to. Have a lovely weekend!!
ps: coyotes! I've actually never seen one so that would be interesting...

BALLET NEWS said...

I love them - the colours and the patterns. And what wonderful photographs you have taken too....

Martina said...

How sweet - must give it a try. Every little gift looks so much more precious in a cute box! Thanks for sharing!

Cristina said...

brilliant! my niece will love some of those!!!

Missing Goat said...

is there no end to your talent!

c and d said...

beautiful! i can just hear you now..'it's so easy!'...please...you're good. sounds like a fun party!

Celessa said...

I just found your DIY via Sumiko, these boxes look amazing, I 'll try to do one tomorow for sure thank you so much !!

AllSoCute Amigurumis said...

Just seen these cute boxes on Pinterest & came to say hi! :)

Anita said...

Thanks for this, I can't wait to try and make these little boxes X).

Charlotte Jones said...

I'll definitely be using these boxes for homemade truffles this Christmas. Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

I am having a really hard time following this tutorial. It would be helpful to have pictures that correspond to each step.

Pinecone Camp said...

Hi Anonymous,
Would you like to email me, then I'll send you more step by step pics. I see what you're saying, and I guess I'm assuming that everyone has done a little origami. My apologies! Thanks for the comment!

Selena O' Sullivan said...

I love this method! Is it just me finding 5.5cm difference between lid and base pieces is far too much? I've been using aprox 1cm to 2cm difference to get lid which fits base nicely.

Tracy said...

PC, I, too, was lost after about step C. I love (but only dabble in) origami, and would love to make these. But I find myself needing instructions that are a bit more detailed. I wasn't even sure which squares to fold at each step, the large or the small. Thank you for any help you can provide!

Chrissie from Hamburg/Germany said...

this one srsly changed my life for the better. thank you so much. all the small things in my room now have a home. and a beautyful one, too! thank you for sharing.

robin hood said...

This blog is down to earth, hats off buds available.Lend A Box

Maria Eugenia said...

thanks for sharing this!