Monday, September 27, 2010

Baked on Monday - Jam Buns


Hope your Monday is moving along well! I'm off to a very late start, so I'll just jump right to the recipe for these little bites of happiness.

Jam Buns - makes about 15-18


2 teaspoons active dry yeast
5 tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup lukewarm milk
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 oz melted unsalted butter
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup jam - I'm using raspberry today.
2 tablespoons heavy cream/half and half
icing sugar to dust tops

Place 2 teaspoons of the sugar, yeast and lukewarm milk in a bowl and mix to combine. Let stand for 5 minutes, or until bubbles form, in a warm spot.
In a mixing bowl, place the flour, remaining sugar, melted butter, one of the egg yolks, then add the yeast mixture. Mix together until a smooth dough forms. Knead for 5 minutes or until nice and smooth, and elastic. If the dough gets a bit sticky while kneading, add a little flour.


My niece, being put to work. 

Divide dough into about 15-18 pieces and roll into balls. Press balls flat, into 5 inch circles, then spoon one teaspoon of jam into the centre. Fold over the dough and pinch to seal. Place pinched side down on a greased baking sheet. Cover with a towel and let stand for about an hour, or until dough doubles in size.


Whisk together the second yolk with the heavy cream, then brush onto tops of buns. Place in a 350F/180C oven for about 18-20 minutes or until dark golden in colour.  Dust with icing sugar and enjoy warm or cold.



I will be bagging up some of these to take on a photo shoot tomorrow. All I've eaten today are jam buns. Must share. 

Back soon!

32 comments:

Ali said...

I am drooling. They look wonderful!

Caroline D. said...

wow! those look amazing...nice soft texture. can i send my kids over there sometime to help you bake? ; not that you need another little one...

Kristen said...

how cute are they?! of course they look yummy! hope you had a great weekend!!

Maria said...

These look scrumptious! I love your recipes :)

koralee said...

Oh my goodness...these are adorable!!! I think I will make a batch and take them to school! Hugs for another yummy and cute idea. xoxoxo

LAURA!!! said...

oh those look. so. delicious. and that little plate is so beautiful!

Vintage Home said...

really really really the best ever!

jonahliza said...

you have the best recipes, e v e r. i love how they are different than other recipes i've found online <3

the southern hostess said...

Oh my goodness. This is brilliant.

green been food said...

how delicious do they look?! yummy.

Kitty M said...

Hope you are well Janis - looks like you have had a busy few weeks. A jam bun diet is my kind of diet! They look scrummy x

lisaroyhandbags said...

mmmm these look so good! that's all I'd be eating too is jam buns! so cute that your niece gave you a hand :)

Margaret said...

oh my god. yum yum yum :)
great blog!
loving the posts
stop by some time xx

Erica@ Moth Design said...

These look ridiculously yummy.... like, eat more than you should yummy. Thanks for sharing. I'm always looking for good things to make for little boys running out the door in the morning. xo e

Marie said...

Oh la la, these look so delicious ! I will definitely give it a try, thanks for sharing :)

mise said...

These look wonderful, Janis, like somewhat healthier doughnuts. I wonder whether they'd work as bagels, puffed up in boiling water first?

AZEDE said...

This looks so delicious, oh how tasty. I wish i could cook it find it to be such a great quality in a person to love to cook.

-Azede
http://uncouturier.blogspot.com/

Vikki said...

Janis! I never noticed this Monday column before! HI-larious :) Check out "Let's get Baked with Matt and Dave" out of Halifax; probably not a delicious as your creations, but funny none the less.

The cottage is having a big party tomorrow night, and I'm gonna try to whip up a bunch of cookies or something for all the guests! Maybe I'll try these!

Thanks for the visit!

xo,
Vikki

Sabine said...

I really like the Baked on Monday Posts.
Photographs and styling are amazing. Great work!
I think you should turn these awesome recipes into a book sometime.
xx

Jaclyn said...

after reading all your recipes I need to have jam stocked at all times now! oh and you'll have to let me know where you'll be in Australia - would be great to have a blogger meet up over coffee!

shari @ little blue deer said...

Oh, delightful! They look so pretty, too, sprinkled with sugar! XX!

Mrs. Sutton said...

One word - AMAZING!
I have only just been to the supermarket and one of my purchases was a pack of jam Doughnuts - well NEVER AGAIN - these look absolutely divine! So glad that I found your BEAUTIFUL blog - I will most definitely be back.
Hugs from the UK xxx

Pinecone Camp said...

Mise, they are kind of like donuts....it's tempting to deep fry them!

Jaclyn, I'll be in Melbourne and Sydney for a few weeks...Sydney for just a couple of days in January. Keep you posted!!

Sabine, I am working on a little "something" with these recipes. I'll let you know.

Thanks for all the lovely comments everyone!

Fräulein Klein said...

The things that you bake look so delicious! You should do a baking book, I would buy it like me!
I bake at the weekend again - Cupcakes!!!!!
Big Hugs, Yvonne

STYLIZIMO said...

These looks delicious! <3

First time here and I love your blog, so I'm now a follower :)

Nina

Mi said...

Oi!

Entrei no seu blog e eu a segui, pois admirei pela sua sensibilidade com fotografia, achei bela. Continue assim, como talentosa fotografa. =)

Bjs,
Mi

J+K said...

I made these last night and they were to DIE FOR!! Thank you for this recipe! It is amazing and I don't know how I will ever survive breakfast without at least three of these! Love it!

beewaits said...

These look incredible. NOTHING I bake ever comes out looking that pretty. PS: Whats a cup in grams?

Claire
xo

www.beewaits.blogspot.com

Nicole said...

So yummy! And zero calorie, right?! :)

Renee (eatliveshop.com) said...

yum yum yum!! i'll be making these babies for sure!

Jen said...

Oh wow! These look amazing. I can't wait to try out the recipe! Great blog btw, I just found it. :)

Tadka Pasta said...

These buns look great! I'm planning to make them soon. Could you tell me if you put a slit in the tops before baking them. They look so cute with the little bit of jam showing on the tops. Thank you for a lovely recipe!