Monday, July 4, 2011

Baked


Happy Monday everyone! Hope you had a great weekend.

I really love baking bread (a great stress reliever!), but I'm finding it does take heaps of practice. I'm trying to make bread that has a little less white flour, so this weekend I attempted Kamut baguettes. This is the third go, and I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. Kamut flour dough takes a little longer to rise, and is a bit more dense than a white flour bread. This recipe is a mix of Kamut and regular flour. They are not a perfect shape, but they do taste good. For some more info on Kamut, click here.

Kamut Baguettes - makes four small baguettes (so they fit in my oven!)

The night before baking:
150 g all purpose flour
150 ml of warm water
1 teaspoon instant yeast


Mix all of the above together in a medium bowl, then knead for a few minutes. Cover bowl with a towel and let sit for one hour. Punch down dough, then cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.

The next day:
200ml of warm water
1 teaspoon salt
100g of all purpose flour
260g of Kamut flour
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 teaspoon sugar

Take the refrigerated dough out, and add a little of the 200 ml of warm water to it. This will activate the yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, mix together the salt, yeast, all purpose flour, kamut flour, sugar and the remaining warm water. Add the refrigerated yeast mixture and combine. Knead dough for about 5 minutes. Place dough in a bowl with a little oil in it, and roll dough to slightly coat. Let stand for one hour, or until dough doubles in bulk.


Divide dough into 4 equal pieces (mine worked out to about 200g each). At this point, I'll direct you to this site for a little baguette shaping lesson. It's really helpful! We might be here all day if I tried to shoot each step ;) This video is based on a regular flour recipe, so don't let it throw you off. Just be concerned with the shaping and scoring.


Once you've shaped and scored your baguettes, place them on a pan with a little cornmeal on the baking sheet, cover with a clean tea towel, and let stand for another 45 minutes. Bake in a 375f oven for about 23-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Enjoy immediately!


If you have any bread baking tips, feel free to pass them on to me ;) Back on Wednesday!
janis

12 comments:

Callie Grayson said...

I do love to eat bread with a good slathering of butter or jam, but I really don't eat it very often.
These look very tasty! I have never tried to make bread before... but looking at these makes me want to try.
xx
callie

fashioneggpplant said...

looks delicious! i can imagine the smell with melted butter! :))

Jan | Poppytalk said...

those look delicious!!!! i can only imagine! i made some kamut pancakes once - they were delicious.

PinkPanthress said...

Hmm... selfmade bread. But what do I see in your recipe, sugar? o_O

We just made a new batch last night, knead by hand. And it tasted so good, fresh out of the oven, butter melting as soon as it hit the hot surface of the bread... :D

And about the perfect shape... I like them better if they have this distinct & imperfect handmade look!
Your Baguettes look great!

Tip...
My mother sometimes adds a small handful of finely chopped & roasted onions. Or a pinch, or two, of different herbs into the dough.
A few times we even added a good amount of grated Gouda cheese, and once even grated (turkish)ka┼čar cheese.

Razmataz said...

Ok, I could eat that entire loaf. With Missing goat blueberry jam. Seriously, I could make a loaf of bread my dinner.

I love the way you photograph your food. You make it look very easy, which I know it is not!

lisaroyhandbags said...

mmm bread is my weakness! I've never tried Kamut flour. Your little brown wrapper looks so sweet :)

Pinecone Camp said...

Pink Panthress, thanks for the tip. Nothing wrong with cheese ;)
Razmataz, I did eat an entire loaf but I was out of Missing Goat jam, unfortunately.
Jan, pancakes too? Will have to try.

Vintage Home said...

...as always...yummy yummmy yummy!
Thanks for all the heads ups that you provide here!
I want to go to gastown now1
Also I have NEVER been to Tofino!

theolivetree said...

I just started making bread...this looks great! Thanks for sharing!!!

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

just getting back into bread baking mode around here too...i toosed my old starter yesterday and am making a fresh new one...

you bread looks great...love how you tied it in the paper and bow

:-)

happy to stop by today.

kary and teddy
xx

Emily said...

Beautiful! Bread-making is so therapeutic. This may be a dumb question, but what is kamut flour from? I've only tried baking with white flour so far.

c and d said...

these look so so good. and i love the way the house smells from baking bread. the texture looks really good on this too! thanks, i've been wanting to have alternatives to white flour too!