Monday, July 4, 2011
Baked
Happy Monday everyone! Hope you had a great weekend.
I really love baking bread (a great stress reliever!), but I'm finding it does take heaps of practice. I'm trying to make bread that has a little less white flour, so this weekend I attempted Kamut baguettes. This is the third go, and I'm finally starting to get the hang of it. Kamut flour dough takes a little longer to rise, and is a bit more dense than a white flour bread. This recipe is a mix of Kamut and regular flour. They are not a perfect shape, but they do taste good. For some more info on Kamut, click here.
Kamut Baguettes - makes four small baguettes (so they fit in my oven!)
The night before baking:
150 g all purpose flour
150 ml of warm water
1 teaspoon instant yeast
Mix all of the above together in a medium bowl, then knead for a few minutes. Cover bowl with a towel and let sit for one hour. Punch down dough, then cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate over night.
The next day:
200ml of warm water
1 teaspoon salt
100g of all purpose flour
260g of Kamut flour
1 teaspoon instant yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
Take the refrigerated dough out, and add a little of the 200 ml of warm water to it. This will activate the yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, mix together the salt, yeast, all purpose flour, kamut flour, sugar and the remaining warm water. Add the refrigerated yeast mixture and combine. Knead dough for about 5 minutes. Place dough in a bowl with a little oil in it, and roll dough to slightly coat. Let stand for one hour, or until dough doubles in bulk.
Divide dough into 4 equal pieces (mine worked out to about 200g each). At this point, I'll direct you to this site for a little baguette shaping lesson. It's really helpful! We might be here all day if I tried to shoot each step ;) This video is based on a regular flour recipe, so don't let it throw you off. Just be concerned with the shaping and scoring.
Once you've shaped and scored your baguettes, place them on a pan with a little cornmeal on the baking sheet, cover with a clean tea towel, and let stand for another 45 minutes. Bake in a 375f oven for about 23-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Enjoy immediately!
If you have any bread baking tips, feel free to pass them on to me ;) Back on Wednesday!
janis
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






12 comments:
I do love to eat bread with a good slathering of butter or jam, but I really don't eat it very often.
These look very tasty! I have never tried to make bread before... but looking at these makes me want to try.
xx
callie
looks delicious! i can imagine the smell with melted butter! :))
those look delicious!!!! i can only imagine! i made some kamut pancakes once - they were delicious.
Hmm... selfmade bread. But what do I see in your recipe, sugar? o_O
We just made a new batch last night, knead by hand. And it tasted so good, fresh out of the oven, butter melting as soon as it hit the hot surface of the bread... :D
And about the perfect shape... I like them better if they have this distinct & imperfect handmade look!
Your Baguettes look great!
Tip...
My mother sometimes adds a small handful of finely chopped & roasted onions. Or a pinch, or two, of different herbs into the dough.
A few times we even added a good amount of grated Gouda cheese, and once even grated (turkish)kaşar cheese.
Ok, I could eat that entire loaf. With Missing goat blueberry jam. Seriously, I could make a loaf of bread my dinner.
I love the way you photograph your food. You make it look very easy, which I know it is not!
mmm bread is my weakness! I've never tried Kamut flour. Your little brown wrapper looks so sweet :)
Pink Panthress, thanks for the tip. Nothing wrong with cheese ;)
Razmataz, I did eat an entire loaf but I was out of Missing Goat jam, unfortunately.
Jan, pancakes too? Will have to try.
...as always...yummy yummmy yummy!
Thanks for all the heads ups that you provide here!
I want to go to gastown now1
Also I have NEVER been to Tofino!
I just started making bread...this looks great! Thanks for sharing!!!
just getting back into bread baking mode around here too...i toosed my old starter yesterday and am making a fresh new one...
you bread looks great...love how you tied it in the paper and bow
:-)
happy to stop by today.
kary and teddy
xx
Beautiful! Bread-making is so therapeutic. This may be a dumb question, but what is kamut flour from? I've only tried baking with white flour so far.
these look so so good. and i love the way the house smells from baking bread. the texture looks really good on this too! thanks, i've been wanting to have alternatives to white flour too!
Post a Comment