Monday, July 18, 2011

Baked


I'm happy to see Monday, as it seems to have brought some sunshine with it! Hope you all had a great weekend.

I made these roasted peaches this weekend, and they are really good. Super simple too. The recipe calls for amaretti (Italian cookies), so I made a quick batch of those. Again, really simple to make. All together it took about 75 minutes to make (including baking time).

Roasted Peaches with Amaretti & Almond Crumble - serves 6 (or a couple of greedy adults)
(I think I got this recipe, originally, from Bon Appetit magazine)

5 amaretti cookies (about 3/4 oz) (you can buy these or make your own. If making your own, make cookies first)
3 tablespoons whole raw almonds
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into 1/2 inch cubes
3 firm, but ripe, large peaches, rinsed, wiped clean of fuzz and halved


Preheat oven to 350f. Lightly butter an 11x7x2 inch glass baking dish. Combine cookies, almonds, flour, and sugar in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is coarsely chopped. Add cold butter to processor and pulse until moist clumps form.


Place peach halves, cut side up, in prepared dish. Spread topping over surface of peach half (about a tablespoon for each), pressing lightly to adhere leaving a bit of a border around peach.


Bake peaches for about 35 minutes, until tender and topping is golden brown. Cool slightly. Serve warm!



Amaretti Cookies - makes about 24 

2 egg whites
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups finely ground almonds (almond meal)
Topping:
1 tablespoon sugar

Preheat oven to 300f. In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until stiff glossy peaks form (about 5 minutes). Beat in almond extract, then fold in ground almonds.


Drop tablespoons of batter on parchment paper lined baking sheet, about 2 inches apart. Sprinkle the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar over cookies. Bake for about 20 minutes until firm to the touch, and light golden. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.


Well that's it! Really simple, not to heinous for you, and delicious. What more can you ask for?
Have a great day!

Back soon.
janis

20 comments:

Marianne {Style For Living} said...

These look so good! I must give them a try this week. YUM!!!

Callie Grayson said...

I love love love baked peaches! This is a must try for me!
xx
callie

elisa rathje said...

heaven. great to have the cookie recipe! works for gluten-free folks. i'm sending it to my mother in hopes that she'll make it for us ;)

x

jessica said...

yum! peaches!!!
this looks delish! :)

Beach Coast Style said...

This looks so yummy! I can just smell it via my computer ;-)

Carly Cram said...

your food photography is just so beautiful. I love how it gives the food such an elegance. Everything you make looks incredible.

lisaroyhandbags said...

mmm these look so good! I'm all about peaches in the summer and can go through a whole basket just eating them on my cereal :)

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

Please come to London and teach me some of your food styling wizardry! So impressive!

Leckeres für Mensch und Katze said...

That looks very yummy! :) LG Tina

Razmataz said...

These look delicious...fragrant roasted peaches...yum.

I like to decifer your photos Janice. I know it is no accident the orange place mat with the circles, or the bowl with the retro pattern. You've carefully arranged it all so beautifully. Your food posts are like a great cookbook. It' the photos that make you want to try the recipe.

Dallas Shaw said...

oh wow. love your photography.
dallas
http://dillydallas.blogspot.com

Kitty M said...

Hello Janis - lovely to 'see you' over at Dolliedaydream, ironically we are (just) back in the UK!! Looong story and can't blog too much about the experience because of legal reasons but our French adventure has been cut short. On a more positive note if we can find work/housing in the North West again I can look forward to taking the baby for a day out in Haworth! In the meantime I'll enjoy catching up with your posts whilst I await our little arrival :-) x

PinkPanthress said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
PinkPanthress said...

Adore this... you so can't go wrong with Peaches.
They taste amazing in every possible way one can imagine! ;)

Edins House said...

Oh my, Janis... I fall off my eating plan when ever I visit your blog!! I'm going to have to make this. Oh yes!
Victoria

kate / tinywarbler said...

yum! these were so good, thank you for sharing! and not too much guilt since it was really mostly fruit....haha.
i love amaretti cookies, i may have to give those a try.....

dreams on 34th street said...

Janis!
I LOVE the BAKED photo~ recipes!
I gave you a shout out today!
http://dreamson34thstreet.blogspot.com/2011/07/you-are-never-to-old-to-go-to-camp.html
~Lynne
[w/l]

theolivetree said...

ummmm...hello peaches!! The peaches are perfect here in the Midwest this time of year...I need to try this. p.s. I like how you said I had my hands full with a little monkey...that is actually my sons nickname...monkey...no joke ;)

Renee (eatliveshop.com) said...

This looks like heaven! Perfect summertime dessert!

Connie said...

my mouth is watering...what a great combo. Hope you'll visit us at the Baker's Market in Vancouver starting Oct. 2011. ps we are also looking for a volunteer photograher too!