Friday, July 8, 2011

Friday D.I.Y.

How are you all? Hope you've all had a great week!

I've had another bonkers busy shoot week, so lots of post production work as well. To take a bit of a breather from the computer, I decided to recover a lamp I've had for ages.

I started off by rolling the lampshade across a large piece of paper, tracing along as I rolled. I then pinned the paper template to the fabric, and cut out. I left about 1/2" on either end, then wrapped the fabric around the shade (wrong side out) and pinned. I then sewed the ends together, and slipped it over the shade. I've done this before with an even larger shade and it works really well. This is a lot less messy and toxic than using spray glue to attach fabric.
Thanks to Lili at The Spool of Thread, for suggesting I make my own binding and showing me how. I used white glue to attach the binding to the top and bottom rims of the shade. The whole process took about an hour.

I love these tiny air plants. I picked them up at The Hach, here in Vancouver. All they need is bright light, and a spritz of water.

Have a great weekend! Back soon.


mise said...

It's an absolutely beautiful lampshade, Janis, much improved, and you make it sound so easy!

Jan | Poppytalk said...

oh i love this!

kate / tinywarbler said...

very pretty janis! isn't fun making your own binding?

bluehydrangea said...

What a difference!! Love it!

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

ou did good, no great! that looks awesome.

and what is it with bonkers weeks right now, i'm exactly the same.

oh well, wine always helps - hope you get to relax this weekend darl xxx

Anne Emberline said...

It's so cute! I have a lampshade that badly needs cuteness. Did you take off the original white fabric before you put on the new stuff?

Carola said...

Lovely project!! I adore those colours toguether, lavebder gray and yellow, a lot of summer in them.
They are in my living room palette.
Supe cute teh air plant detail.



rachel @ Just a Touch of Gray said...

Wonderful project! The shade looks great! I just stumbled upon your blog... love your header!

Razmataz said...

It really makes a big difference and kooks great against the white walls.

amber heagerty said...

Such a cute updated look!Love it!

PinkPanthress said...

I certainly do like your work. The fabric looks much better on the lamp, than the plain white look it had before.

Also I am for sewing, too, it is the better option!

Have a nice weekend!

Briar {Sunday Collector} said...

Aren't you clever! Love air plants - I have a couple too. Brings new meaning to easy-care!

lyndsay said...

janis! this is so cute!! love the tiny air plants!

such a great tutorial! thanks for sharing. ^__^

lisaroyhandbags said...

I love your shade! And so smart to sew it and slip it over instead of using spray glue (I hate that stuff - I end up with more on my hands than I do on my projects!). I just bought a glass lamp on the weekend - I love your little air plants inside. :)

btw: I'm sending some sunshine your way but I'll need to sift it first - we're having sporadic sand storms today

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

This is such a great DIY! Thank you for sharing with us - great fabric choice, too!

Vintage Home said...

...well thats just stunning!..Great job!

lesley [smidgebox] said...

oh my goodness i love this! i need to get a lamp just so i can do this, ours are all metal or glass shades ;)

love that fabric, too. great choice!

Lisa said...

Wow, I love the combination of a beautiful fabric, glass lamp and air plants - who else would have put those together? ANd I am wearing that exact yellow watch as I type :)

Josie Marsh said...

I guess I'm confused as to how you finish and attach the top and bottom edges. Do you sew the binding to the fabric?

k said...

love how this turned out - so light and cheerful. the glass base is really cool too.

Lindsay [rookie's nest] said...

it is so so great to accidentally stumble upon another canadian blogger. bonus: i LOVE your blog. xo new follower!

Laura-Bear said...

Ooo yes love it. What great ideas!

Christine Martin said...

i love this. thank you.

رضا رمضان said...

شركة كشف تسربات بالرياض
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام
شركة كشف تسربات بالدمام
شركة كشف تسربات بجدة
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بجدة


In the name of God the Merciful We in the

light of UK companies offer the best

services in all cleaning Katenziv in

apartments , boards and cabinets and


نور المملكة

شركة تنظيف بمكة
And also we provide insect control for all

insects flying and crawling and rat

شركة مكافحة حشرات بجازان
We also offer moving furniture needed by

everyone because of the expiration of the

lease time or travel service
شركة الصفرات لنقل الاثاث بالرياض
And safety and God's mercy and blessings
كما يوجد لدينا ايضا تنظيف المجالس والكنب والسجاد والموكيت باحدث الطرق الموجودة

وافضل المواد التى تقضى البقع والاوساخ
شركة تنظيف مجالس وكنب بحائل
شركة تنظيف سجاد وموكيت بحائل
وكل هذا بانسب الاسعار واقل التكلفة ونحن نعمل فى خدماتكم 24ساعه


بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم نحن فى شركة الكمال تقوم بافضل انواع التنظيف العام وتنظيف الفلل

بافضل انواع العالميه التى تحافظ على السيراميك



شركة تنظيف بالطائف


تنظيف فلل بالطائف

شركة تنظيف بجازان

شركة تنظيف فلل بجازان

شركة تنظيف بحائل

شركة تنظيف فلل بحائل

ونحن فى خدماتكم اربعه وعشرون ساعه وكل هذا بافضل الاسعار واقل التكلفة