Monday, July 11, 2011

Baked



Happy Monday! Hope you all had a lovely weekend.

I've only made Pavlova a couple of times, and I don't know why I haven't made it more. It's the national dessert of Australia, and my sister-in-law (Australian) makes a fabulous one, so I think maybe I'm nervous! It's fairly easy, but if you try to rush things, it will only end in disappointment and, possibly, tears. ;)
It should end up with a crunchy "crust" and a marshallowy (new word?) centre. Mmmm.

Pavlova with Lemon Custard and Berries - makes 6

Meringue:
3/4 cup berry/caster sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 large egg whites, room temperature
3 tablespoons cold water
1 teaspoon white vinegar

Lemon Custard:
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
small pinch of salt
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 stick unsalted butter
3 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 cup whipping cream
4 cups of berries (I used blackberries and blueberries)


To make meringue:
Preheat oven to 300f with rack in middle. If you like, you can trace six 3" circles, with a biscuit cutter, on a piece of parchment paper, and place on baking sheet. You can be more loose with your meringue and omit the traced circles if that's your style. ;)
Whisk the berry/caster sugar and cornstarch together, in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites, at medium speed, until soft peaks form. Add water and beat again until soft peaks form.
Beat in sugar mixture, 1 tablespoon at a time, at medium high speed. After all sugar has been incorporated, beat for another 2 minutes.
Add vinegar and beat at high speed for about 6 minutes, until meringue is glossy and stiff peaks form.
Carefully spread meringue inside circles, or go freeform, making edges slightly higher so it can hold the custard and berries. Bake until the meringue is a light golden colour, and a crust has formed, about 45 minutes. Turn oven off, prop door open a little, and let meringue sit in oven for one hour.


To make lemon custard:
While meringue is baking, make the custard. Mix together the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium size saucepan, then add lemon and butter. Bring mixture to a low simmer, over medium high heat, whisking, then continue to simmer whisking constantly for one minute. Lightly beat egg yolks in a small bowl then mix in 1/4 cup of the lemon mixture, then add to the saucepan. Reduce heat to low and cook, whisking constantly, until custard has thickened. This should take about 2 minutes. Do not let mixture boil. Transfer custard to a small bowl and stir in lemon zest. Cover surface with parchment paper, and refrigerate for 1 1/2 hours.


To assemble:
Beat whipping cream until still peaks form. Fold in about 1/4 cup to lemon custard. Spoon custard into the "crater" of the meringue and top with berries. Voila. Eat and enjoy!



This dessert is certainly not "heart healthy", but it's sooo good.

Back on Wednesday!
Janis
x

24 comments:

justine | lovemaki said...

THAT is incredible! i must try it:)

jennifer@nicolejanehome said...

mmmmm...love pavlova. Just don't try making it when it's raining (something to do with low-pressure), and it's best to use older eggs 'cause the white beat up fluffier!
I'll be right over to help you polish those off!!!!!

ThisTinder said...

Oooo that looks *so* good! Thanks for the recipe, I'll definitly be trying this one out :)

brismod said...

Heavenly pav! Yours look like they turned out beautifully. Yum! xx

Mary Hudson said...

Whoa! Yummy!!

GardenofDaisies (Gayle) said...

These look delicious with the blueberries and blackberries on them. I have an Australian friend who taught me how to make pavlovas with passionfruit.

Sherri B. said...

what a lucious job you did on this. I have never tried it but have watched Barefoot Contessa do it and was fascinated. Does the humidity cause problems and don't you have high humidiy in Vancouver B.C. like we do in Anacortes (San Juan Is)?

Jan | Poppytalk said...

oh. my. gosh.

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

I had pavlova this weekend, too! So good!

Razmataz said...

I must try this one. The lemon would be lovely for the summer. I like the blue/black fruits with the lemon yellow!

Pavlova is wonderful. Fairly easy, but so delicious.

the southern hostess said...

I'm obsessed with pavlova. I'll have to try this version. It sounds heavenly!

PinkPanthress said...

Dear, lovely Janis!

How am I supposed to go through my healthy weight-loss Diet, if you post such yummy images of your sweet creations?

Now I have to go & try my hands at this, too.

Yours,
Nokta

P.S.: Do not take me too serious, it is just that you really have a hand with these kind of things... and I am a very week human being. ;)

lisaroyhandbags said...

YUM YUM YUM!! pavlova is one of my all-time favourite desserts and the lemon custard would be lovely in it :)

Buffy Ramm said...

beautiful recipe, Janis! I love your take with the lemon custard. We serve ours with whip cream and passion fruit preserve, which we bring back with us from Australia! So yummy!

christine, just bella said...

drooool. It's almost to pretty to eat... almost.

Pinecone Camp said...

Jennifer and Sherri B., I have been told that a humid day can wreak havoc on it, but I made this batch on a dry day. I think I'll give it a go on a rainy day and see what happens. ;)
Pink Panthress, I know, this one is not very "heart healthy" or low cal. Sorry about that!

Happy Homemaker UK said...

I didn't know these were popular in Australia. They look delicious! XOL

Carly Cram said...

Those look so delicious!

annie said...

My mouth is watering...I have been tempted to make these so many times after seeing Ina Garten make them. I am for sure going to give it a try. your photography is beautiful...stunning actually!

Emily said...

Something this complicated terrifies me, but I'm going to add it to my 101 recipes list and see how I handle the challenge!

briannelee said...

Yum! I love the flavor of lemon and berries together.

Enter my Stella & Dot Giveaway!
http://brileeo.blogspot.com/2011/07/stella-dot-giveaway.html

Carola said...

So yummy and fresh! I have 3 blueberry plants I hope they gave me yummy berrys this year :)

kiss

Carola

Catherine *The Spring* said...

What beautiful photography! I hope you saved some for your husband, cause I know how those Aussies are mad for the pavlova!
- Catherine at The Spring
www.thespringblog.com

Marie-Eve said...

I tried this recipe last weekend and it was delicious!

I was afraid the vinegar would change the flavour (I only had super strong vinegar in the pantry) so I used a pinch of cream of tartar instead and added it at the beginning.

I think a step might be missing for the lemon custard. Do you really only mix in 1/4 of the whipped cream and serve the rest separately, or mix in everything? I started with 1/4 of the whipped cream to soften the lemon custard and then I mixed all of the whipped cream. It was delicious and the texture was great too.