Monday, July 25, 2011

Baked


Hope you're all having a lovely Monday! Did you have a nice weekend? For all my fellow Vancouverites, wasn't that sun, well, summery? So nice.

I tried out a recipe that is based on one that I saw in Alive magazine, this weekend. The recipe called for pineapple, but I thought I'd try cherries and pecans.  The cake itself is really moist, and I love the cherries!


Upside Down Cherry & Pecan Quinoa Cake - makes one 8x8 inch cake

Topping: (I just made this up, not the original recipe)
1 lb of cherries, pitted and halved
3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon lemon juice


Cake:
1 cup cooked white quinoa
2 large eggs, separated into yolks and whites
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup plain, low fat yogurt
1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

To make topping: Place pitted and halved cherries in a baking dish, with pecans, maple syrup and lemon. Mix together and roast for about 15 minutes in a 375F oven. Watch that the mixture doesn't burn. Place cherry mixture in an 8x8 inch pan (spray pan with a little oil), and set aside.


To make cake: In a food processor, process cooked quinoa, egg yolks, sugar, yogurt, apple sauce, and vanilla until very smooth. About 2 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
Add quinoa mixture to flour mixture and stir until no flour streaks remain. With a spatula, gently fold egg whites into quinoa batter until just incorporated. Gently spoon batter over cherries.


Bake in centre of oven for about 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in cake comes out clean. Allow cake to cool in pan, for about 10 minutes, before running a thin knife around edges and inverting cake onto a plate. Top with a little maple syrup whipped cream if you like.


This cake is actually pretty good for you (minus the whipped cream that I added!), so I hope you give it a whirl. There are so many options with this one!

Back soon!
janis

10 comments:

Briar {Sunday Collector} said...

Yum, I love cherries. The colour in these shots is so rich! Briar x

bicocacolors said...

absolutamente delicioso!!!
pictures are gorgeous!!!

jessica said...

i love cherries!! i definitely need to try this recipe! looks delish!

Missing Goat said...

you impress me so.

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

That last shot is making me hunggggggry! Great 'baked' as usual! Have a lovely week. xo

mise said...

The quinoa is a great idea - it seems to give it a texture like banana cake? And healthy sounds good!

lisaroyhandbags said...

I love cherries - we used to drive down to Niagara on the Lake to buy baskets of them from the orchards. I've never tried baking with quinoa - sounds delicious! :)

theolivetree said...

SO I have to tell you I don't like cherries...but I think I need to try this!!

PinkPanthress said...

Oh yeah, I'll have to try this one... sans whipped cream of course.

le@thirdontheright said...

I will have to google quinoa .. but this sure looks fabbo :) best le xox